- Text Size +
"Tobias." Gibbs said shortly, not in the mood for any FBI involvement.

Fornell held up his hands. "I'm not here to take the case from you Gibbs. As of twenty minutes ago, I was on vacation for the week. I'm offering my help as part of your team. Just don't be surprised when the FBI shows up sometime later today. I only had so much time to stall them and it won't work for long."

Gibbs stared at him for a long moment and then nodded. "What have you heard about the judge's murder?"

Fornell shook his head. "Not out here."

The three of them made their way into the building and to the elevator. Once it started moving, Jenny moved to flip the switch. Fornell looked at Gibbs as if seeking approval to talk about this in front of her. After a slight nod of Gibbs' head, Fornell started. "Judge Rufkins got a huge influx of funds a week ago. We're trying to trace it but haven't come up with anything yet. Whoever sent him the money arranged for the release of 3 other prisoners besides Adrian. Two men and a woman. All three are suspected to have connections to a terrorist cell here in the DC area."

Fornell paused to let Gibbs process the information. "Adrian was released as a distraction for us?" He voiced Fornell's suspicions immediately.

"That's my theory." Fornell confirmed.

---------------------

"Ink Art, this is Lacey."

"Lacey, I need a favor." Carly said in a low voice.

"Sure! What's up?" Lacey asked, her usual cheerful self.

"I need a ride back to work and I was hoping you could drive me."

"You need a ride? Where's your car?"

"It's here, but I can't drive. I have a splitting headache and Jet brought me home."

"Well, if he did, I'm not sure you need to go back to work Carly."

"I have to Lacey. I can't explain it but I have to go back."

"Gibbs' gut feelings aren't contagious are they?" Lacey asked.

When Carly said, "Please, Lacey," Lacey knew something was wrong.

"It will take a few minutes for me to lock up here but I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Thank you Lacey." Carly said and hung up the phone.

----------------

Tony, Tim and Ziva were busy pulling backgrounds on the three other people released from prison. Nothing they found was good and none of it would help clue them in as to what was being planned. Abby came running into the bullpen with a note for Gibbs and he immediately called a halt to what they were doing.

"Adrian has the Director." He announced to everyone.

"What happened to Fornell?" Tony asked.

"He was knocked unconscious." Abby told him. "Apparently it wasn't Adrian that killed the judge and all she's interested in is getting even with Jen for sending her to prison."

"She killed Jen's sister." Ziva said and Tony thanked her for stating the obvious.

"We know that." Gibbs said. "What we didn't know was that Jen tried to break up Adrian and her sister because she knew something was off with Adrian. The night her sister was killed, she was staying at Jen's and Adrian killed her by mistake."

"She meant to kill the Director?" Tim asked, surprised by this.

"Yes." Abby answered him and read the note aloud. " 'Even after all this time you still get to me, Jenny Shepard. Today, I'll get to you.' This note was waiting on the windshield of her car and Fornell was knocked out when he picked it up. He made it to the front door and that's where I ran into him. Ducky took him to autopsy and I came straight here." she finished in a rush.

The elevator doors slid open and Gibbs turned expecting to see Fornell. Instead Carly walked in followed closely by Lacey. "What are you doing back here?"

Carly shrugged her shoulders and Lacey told him. "I've been trying to talk her out of coming back in since she called, but she insisted."

Gibbs nodded to her as he watched Carly walk slowly over. "What's happened?" She asked and he filled her in.

"So you need to find the Director and someone needs to be looking for these three." She said and nodded towards the plasma screen.

"I've located the Director, Boss." Tim said from his desk. He had been punishing his keyboard from the moment Gibbs said the Director was missing. "Well her phone at least."

"Pull it up McGee." Gibbs ordered and they watched the plasma as the GPS locator kept moving. "She's taking her somewhere. McGee, get the car. Abby keep tracking her phone. Let's go!" He ordered and the team rushed out leaving Abby, Carly and Lacey behind.