- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
You wonder if they noticed the change. You wonder how they could miss it.
Everything changes.

+

You never really thought about that before. Not seriously. But, you think, you always knew it would happen.
It was inevitable. Predictable in a way.

You wonder if the others can see it too. You wonder if they noticed the change. You wonder how they could miss it.

Her cheeks are flushed and she is grinning that smile. That secret smile. The one women always wear the morning after. The smile that tells you that their every thought is for that night. For that first kiss. For that first touch.

And every time she catches you looking at her, the smile fades to be replaced by a serious frown toward her computer.

As if she could hide it from you. You snort every time she does it to embarrass her a little more and every time she pretends she didn’t hear you.

+

Around midday, Abby comes to suggest ‘a break from the boys’ and you all pretend not to notice the hungry eyes that linger on her ass as the girls leave.

For a moment you narrow your eyes at him and wonder if he’s been gentle with her. If he told her how beautiful she was and how lucky he was to have her in his bed. In his life.

You have the sudden urge to give him your ‘big brother’ talk. The ‘don’t you dare hurting her or I’ll come after you with a golf club’ threat but you’re not sure if it’s the kind of things to say to a man who actually experienced that before. You’re not sure if it’s the kind of thing to say to your boss.
And she would probably kill you anyway.

You’re startled by a sound coming from your stomach. It’s lunchtime you remember and hey, maybe the new secretary is free for lunch.

+

You’re all working on a cold case this afternoon and they both have a different theory.

You watch his eyes sparkling as she –not so calmly- exposes why the husband didn’t do it.
You take time to reflect on how hot and explosive the sex will be after a fight and ‘Pig!’ echoes in your head.
You chuckle and stuck your head back in the file in front of you when three curious pairs of eyes stare at you.

+

The case is still open when you call it a day. You were so engrossed in your thoughts of a date with Melissa that you forgot your jacket.

They’re still working when the elevator rings to warn them about your arrival. They don’t hear it.

She has moved from her desk to stand right next to him and the back of his hand travels up her hip in a slow motion while she rereads a witness statement.
She smiles down at him and you back away quietly.

It’s a hot summer night and you don’t really need your jacket anyway.