- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A really short one...
Armed with full knowledge of Rupert’s plans, a mental lock on his location, years of experience and complete confidence Noah Diamond led his party into the foyer of the old, abandoned Victorian house, ready for a fight. The smell of death barely permeated the strong smells of ‘old’ – mildew, dust and stale air. Noah stopped and turned to face Estelle. Rupert still seemed blatantly unaware of the fact that they were tracking him. Because of the skills required to do so, he had expected Rupert to be overconfident. But he hadn’t expected them to walk into his lair without his knowledge. It was too easy. They made their way to the basement, the smell of death growing more and more pungent. Waves of power rocked the others as Noah and Estelle sent out a warning to Rupert.
“He’s not here,” Noah said, incredulously. They searched the room. They found the bodies of nine young men and women, none over the age of 19. Noah’s anger was palpable.
“How did he…?” Estelle began to question.
Noah turned to Estelle, “Have you released him from your control?”
“No,” she replied immediately. “I swear, he has tried to usurp my position, but I have never released him.”
“He is part of my line and, therefore, directly under my authority. He will be located and this will be taken care of.” Noah slowly perused the scene before him. He examined each body one by one, looking for any clue as to what could have happened outside of the obvious. He turned to one of the others, “Malcolm?” he questioned.
Malcolm closed his eyes, his body beginning to vibrate slightly from the use of his power. His eyes suddenly opened as he made his way around the room. “There were only two of them, Rupert and another. I can only assume him to be the wolf. They played with them,” he said, before continuing. “They took away their free will, luring them to the house using Rupert’s mind control. They were trapped and then bound. They watched as one by one they were taken to the front of the group, raped, fed from and left to die of blood loss. So strong was Rupert’s mental hold on them, they each continued to participate as if they truly wished it,” Malcom paused, disgusted with the images flashing through his mind. Noah’s eyes flashed with righteous indignation.
“This is where rumors begin, and fiction writers gain more fodder with which to malign our kind,” he stated. “This is the reason we have to discipline our own so severely,” he shook his head, saddened by the loss of human life. “Estelle, ultimately Rupert is your responsibility. I am giving you the responsibility of taking care of this mess, as well as the families of the victims,” Noah ordered. She nodded in compliance. “Malcolm,” he turned to the other man, “can you tell what happened after the deaths?”
“The wolf left hurriedly, while Rupert took some time. He walked a perimeter around the room,” he stated, confused.
“He has left a mental stamp of his presence here,” Noah agreed. “We need to find his true location. He is more powerful than when I last was in his presence.”
Estelle left off working with the bodies to join Noah. There was another outpouring of power as they searched for his true location, this one even stronger than the first. Noah focused his frustration and determination into his power, causing it to increase even further. He could feel Rupert, but could not quite ascertain his location. But due to his link with Lenny, he could now feel him. And Lenny was too new to know how to hide his tracks. He locked in on the ‘younger’ man, his fury and concern for Maggie making him all the more determined to stop him.
“Oh God,” Noah said. He reached out telepathically to Abby, which was not easily accomplished from three states away. ‘Abby! Tell Gibbs to stay with Maggie no matter what! They have Morgan. Jaime is injured and lying unconscious on the ground in front of Maggie’s house. Don’t tell Maggie until Gibbs decides it’s okay, or she WILL go after them. Tell Gibbs they do have a marine, although I’ve been unable to get his identity. He’s still alive, but they are torturing him. Right now, they are in the basement of an office building not far from there. The building is currently for lease. I don’t know the physical address, but I’m working on it.’


“Whaddya’ got?” Gibbs answered, when Abby buzzed his phone.
“I need to see you without Maggie,” Abby said.
“On my way,” he said, rising to go.
“I don’t think so,” Maggie stopped him. “What’s going on?”
“I need to see Abby,” Gibbs explained, realizing Maggie had heard Abby’s request for him to come without her. “DiNozzo! Stay with Maggie, HERE! Do not come to the lab,” he ordered, giving Maggie a look that commanded obedience.
Maggie began pacing, as Gibbs disappeared into the stairwell. “God, he drives me crazy!” she said. Her mind was running about a hundred miles a minute in twenty-seven different directions. ‘Was it Lenny? What had happened? Noah! He was probably communicating directly with Abby. Oh God!’ She sank into her chair, drumming her fingernails on the surface of the desk.


Gibbs burst back through the door of the stairwell only minutes after leaving.
“Grab your gear!” he barked. “McGee, take Ziva and head to Sullivan’s house. Pick up Jaime O’Leary and bring him here,” he avoided Maggie’s gaze. “He’s been injured, but we can care for him here and he’ll heal quickly. DiNozzo, you’re with me!” He looked at Maggie, not certain what to do. “Sullivan, come with us,” he said, thinking she would be safer with him and Tony, and knowing if he didn’t take her she was liable to go alone. “McMullen and his ‘master’,” he emphasized the word, not comfortable with the whole vampire thing, “have taken Morgan Sullivan.” His eyes met Maggie’s, all her concern showing behind sheen of unshed tears. At that moment, Abby joined them in the bullpen.
“Gibbs,” she implored. “You really need to take me with you. I’m your only way of communicating with Noah,” she reasoned.
“Then get a move on,” he said, slapping her on the back of the head. She smiled big and rushed onto the elevator next to Tony. Gibbs said a silent prayer for their safety. They were heading into unfamiliar territory.