- Text Size +
Maggie looked around, and realized this was the first time she had been alone at her desk since she came to NCIS almost a month ago. Well, almost alone.
“You must be Kate,” Maggie said to the lovely, dark-haired lady sitting in Tony’s chair. She rose and crossed the room, holding her hand out, “it’s a pleasure to meet you. I’ve seen you around, of course, but this is the first time I’ve been alone with you.”
Kate grasped her hand with hers and smiled, “It is so nice to actually talk to someone besides Abby. Don’t get me wrong, she’s an amazing friend and she has been a godsend since my death…”
“But it isn’t the same,” Maggie finished for her.
“You got that right,” Kate said, sighing. “It was bizarre at first – seeing without being seen. I mean, they could all see me right after the incident, but only Abby since. Not Tony,” she added, almost sadly. “I keep hoping that someday he will see me and we can finally talk. We had so much unfinished between us…” she trailed off, lost in memories.
“What do you think of the changes since you’ve been here?” Maggie asked.
“Director Shepard has shown herself to be very good at her job, although I think she’s still hung up on Gibbs. I don’t know much about you and Noah yet, no offense.”
“None taken,” Maggie said, grinning. “And Ziva?” she questioned.
“Are you kidding?” Kate said. “She’s the one who avenged my death. I owe her a lot.”
“And you don’t feel threatened by her?” Maggie asked, hoping she wasn’t crossing a line.
“Not a bit,” Kate chuckled. “Tony doesn’t love her. She doesn’t love him. And she’s been a good friend to him – he needed that with me gone.”
“I like her, too,” Maggie added. “She has a lot of spirit and a great sense of humor.” They sat in silence for a few moments. “So, do you just follow him around? Not to be rude, but I don’t know how I would handle your situation,” Maggie questioned.
“I used to follow him as much as could. I even used to sleep beside him. Then I realized he couldn’t see me, no matter how hard I tried. I gave up for a while. Then he started dating Jeanne. Thank God he got a clue and finally broke it off with her. I was afraid, for a while, that he would marry her.”
Their conversation came to an unexpected halt, as Tony, Ziva and McGee stepped off the elevator.
“Maggie,” Tim said amiably, “we were just looking for you. We’re heading out for a couple of drinks to celebrate Ziva’s birthday. Wanna join us?”
“Sure,” she said, with an unnoticed wink and wave to Kate. “Where’s Abby?”
“She’s meeting us there,” he answered, as they grabbed their things and headed out.

* * *

Agent Noah Diamond shook his head, lost in thought. He had been working with Agent Sullivan for twelve years. He had thought himself in love with her for at least ten of those years. While he knew she was attracted to him, he had never seen her act the way she had been since she began working with Agent Gibbs. He was beginning to think that she wasn’t simply “protesting too much”.
Now he was supposed to go meet all his co-workers for drinks. He knew he had a reputation to uphold, so he would need to take at least two of the girls. They had such a strong bond, he and his companions. He never really got to develop long-term romantic relationships with non-companions. Women were territorial, and didn’t usually take too kindly to his living arrangements. Maggie always teased him. He offered to let her be the only woman in his life, but she was right when she admitted there was no way she could sustain a 600-year-old vampire alone. It was his torch to bear; one of the many downsides to living forever.
It was Ziva David’s birthday. ‘Now that is a sexy woman,’ he thought, smiling. He only hoped bringing Molly and Daphne didn’t put her off too much. He had definite plans for Ms. David. He crossed to the credenza and picked up the gift he had purchased for her. It was a lovely platinum pendant; a star of David with diamonds at each of the six points. He hoped it wasn’t too much this early in their friendship.

* * *
“Gibbs!” Abby shouted, smiling, and scooting about ten inches further from McGee. “I’m so glad you came!” Gibbs gave a sideways smile.
“Do you honestly think I don’t know you and McGee are here together, Abs?” he asked.
“Boss, I…,” McGee began.
“Save it, Tim,” Gibbs said, “it’s okay. Better than having her mooning over you all the time like before,” he added, taking a drink from the ice cold longneck the waitress had handed him.
“Mooning?!” Abby exclaimed. “I never…”
“Kidding, Abs,” Gibbs interjected. He nodded to the others in turn, “Tony; Maggie; Ziva, Happy Birthday,” he said, handing her a small, navy blue gift bag.
“Thank you, Gibbs,” Ziva said, surprised. She opened the bag to find a framed photograph of herself, McGee and DiNozzo. It was taken just after Gibbs returned from his “hiatus” from NCIS. “It’s perfect,” she said with a smile. Gibbs nodded in response, sliding into the booth next to Maggie. She hoped he didn’t notice her change in breathing.
“Noah, you made it,” Maggie said, noting the arrival of agent Diamond, a supermodel-type woman on each arm. “Daphne and… Margo?” she asked. Noah glared at her.
“This is Molly,” he said, indicating the six-foot blonde on his right, “and this is Daphne.” Daphne tossed her long dark hair behind her slim shoulders and glared at Maggie.
“His girls don’t like me much,” she explained to the others.
“Happy Birthday, Ziva,” he said, catching her eyes with his. When she pulled the box from Tiffany out of the gift bag, you could have heard the collective gasp from across the room, even if you weren’t a werewolf. Maggie shook her head in disapproval.

Noah was beginning to think he had done too much for the gift until he saw Ziva’s face when the opened the box. “Oh my God,” she cried. “That is so beautiful.” Noah smiled. “But it’s too much; I couldn’t possibly…”
“Nonsense,” he interrupted. “I have more money than Bill Gates, and I had this made especially for you. Please…” he began, and then trailed off as their eyes met. She could see how much he didn’t want her to reject his gift.
“Thank you, Noah,” she said softly.
“You’re welcome,” he replied with a wink. “So, is there room here for a couple more?” He handed his “girls” into the seat beside Abby, then sat down next to Gibbs, forcing him to have to practically sit on Maggie’s lap. She contemplated how she could kill him. Even vampires could be killed, you know. She shifted uncomfortably, blushing when she had to keep her right hand either on Gibbs’ leg or around his shoulders to fit in the seat. Her right breast was pressed against his side, and she couldn’t keep the blush off her cheeks. She was definitely going to slay herself a vampire later.