- Text Size +
Gibbs sat at the kitchen table listening to Abby pack some things for Carly. She hadn't wanted to even come here to get clothes before leaving. Tom had torn into him about shooting a police officer but once he got a good look at Carly, he had calmed down. Jenny had been in the office to put in some paperwork and when Carly asked for leave time, both Jenny and Tom gave her instant approval. He had no idea where she was going and he hated this feeling of helplessness. Quickly he looked up to see Abby staring at him.

"Give her time, Gibbs. Then get down on your knees and grovel." She walked passed with the suitcase in her hand and said over her shoulder, "That is, if you can get past being hypocritical enough to accept my ability and not hers." The door shut firmly behind her and Gibbs dropped his head back wondering what he was going to do now.

-------

Carly just drove. Stopping only long enough to nap at rest stops, she drove for two days without her cell on, without dropping coins in a pay phone, without talking to anyone anywhere. Abby was still there, she could feel her rooting around in her mind to see what she was feeling. She laughed to herself the first time she felt Abby try and was unsuccessful. Her blocks were going back in place. Now she just had to figure out what was wrong with her sense of touch. It started the day she was grabbed by Downey. Immediately she knew why he was doing this. Jethro came onto his turf and ordered him about like a probie. He had to get even. Then the other morning, she brushed hands with the clerk at the diner and knew that the woman was being abused at home. She handed the change back to her and added another hundred to it, looked her in the eye and whispered, "Use this to get out." Leaving the woman standing, staring with tears in her eyes, Carly got in her car and drove away.

Here she was now, in Tennessee staring at a house she hadn't seen in years. Miss Eileen was 104 years old and still sharp as a tack. By the time Carly cut her engine off she was on the porch with a big grin motioning her inside. Nana's only living friend, the one woman that hid their friendship because Nana knew it wasn't safe for Miss Eileen. The one woman who knew what it was like to be different in those times. Miss Eileen was a telepath. She had never learned to block other's thoughts so she lived out in the woods, in a small house with a wide front porch. Carly reached the top step and Miss Eileen hugged her tight before taking her arms and looking into her eyes. Nodding, she took Carly's hand.

You truly are special child.

Carly blinked. Surely, she hadn't just heard Miss Eileen's thoughts?

Yes you surely did. You have your Nana's gift and one of your own. Miss Eileen grinned and broke contact. Staring at her, Carly looked on in confusion. Miss Eileen nodded, knowing for certain what she had expected. "It's a gift of touch, yours is. When you touch someone, you can know what they are thinking. But you had trouble at first didn't you? When someone touched you, you read them too? And now you can't?"

Carly nodded. Smiling she followed as Miss Eileen led her into the house. Straight to the kitchen they went and she sat at the table when told to do so. This was the south and you respected your elders or else. Carly loved it here. Jet would too. Her smile evaporated and Miss Eileen asked, "Jet? What kind of name is Jet?"

"His name is Jethro, Miss Eileen. Leroy Jethro to be exact. But the way he drives..."

"Ah, I see. Fast is he?"

"Yes ma'am."

She placed two glasses of sweet iced tea on the table and sat down. "You've come for answers. Some I can't give you. I can't block my gift, but you've known that a while. This new ability you have though, I don't think is so new. I think it’s been ignored while you didn't need it."

"And now I need it?" Carly asked, uncertain.

"Would you be this together if you hadn't known why that man was going to kill you?" Miss Eileen asked, her voice gentle and her face kind.

Carly thought for a moment and shook her head. No way. She would have been a basket case. Strangely enough though, once she was off the table and knew Downey was dead, her fear vanished as if it had never been. She was able to think about the entire day without wanting to hide from the world.

"That is peace of mind you have. One, the man is dead and can't harm you. Two, your knowing what it was about helped you to understand it really ended with his death. Now, are you staying the night or are you going driving again?"

Carly's eyebrows rose and she thought, What is that I smell?

Miss Eileen rolled with laughter and stood to get plates out. Dishing out roast beef, carrots, potatoes and rice with gravy she gave one to Carly and sat back at the table. They ate in silence, smiling all the while. With a woman like Miss Eileen, you never had to tell her how good her food was. She knew it the minute your taste buds told your brain it was delicious.