- Text Size +
"What are we doing in here?" Carly asked. "We have to find Abby. He's going to let her die."



"How would you know that Carly?" he asked her, voice colder than the ice in his eyes.


"Jet, I was going to tell you. Today in fact, but now isn't the time to get into this. We have to save her."



Gibbs stared at her. The expression on his face hadn't changed but the ice became a glacier in his eyes. "Gibbs?" Carly asked in a small voice.



-------



Ducky joined Tony in the observation room. "Michelle called. Abby's really missing?"



Tony nodded. "Some twisted son of a bitch has her and Carly knew it. She claims she's all of a sudden 'clairvoyant'." Tony said with doubt heavy in his voice.



"Why do you say it like that Tony? I thought you worked with a psychic before?" Ducky asked.



"You ever stop and think the 'psychic' could have been in on the case?"



Ducky stared out the glass, watching as his friends doubt broke the heart of the woman who loved him. "That sounds just like Gibbs talking through you Anthony. I thought you were different." He turned and walked out. Jethro would come see him soon.



--------



"Clairvoyant?" His voice fairly dripped condescension.



She stiffened her spine. "You don't believe me, that's fine. But while we are sitting in here, Abby is out there, running out of time from what that voice says. I could be analyzing the recording to see if we recognize who the voice belongs to."



"Or you could just tell me who it is." He said, staring at her, trying not to see the pain and anger in her eyes.



"It doesn't work that way. Being clairvoyant doesn't mean I automatically know everything." He watched her swallow and narrow her eyes. She was reading his body language he knew. "You think I'm involved, don't you? That's why I'm in here? You think I would help someone kidnap my best friend? How could you think me capable of that?"



Because he couldn't, not really, he stood and walked out, leaving her locked in. She stared at the glass and shook her head. "I didn't do this Tony. I wouldn't hurt Abby."



From the other side of the glass, Tony jerked back and turned away. He wasn't so sure.



----------



The doors slid open. "Ah, Jethro, I thought you'd be here soon."



Gibbs walked to Ducky and stared. "What do you think of all of this Ducky?"



"Jethro, you believe in what you can see and touch. You can see and touch Carly. Why can't you believe in her?"



Gibbs in disbelief asked, "You telling me you believe her Duck?"



Ducky shrugged and replied, "The mind is largely unmapped, most of it basically uncharted. You've been involved with her for a year. Why do you find it so hard to believe her?"



Gibbs stood for a moment looking at Ducky then he walked out.



--------



In the bullpen, Ziva and Tim were back. The payphone was clean, wiped down. The coin chamber was empty. They had no evidence to go on. The phone rang and Tony hit the speaker button when Gibbs nodded to him. "DiNozzo," he said without inflection.



"Have you been waiting to hear from me or have you been trying to find your ass without a map?" The voice asked.



"What do you want?" Gibbs asked.



"Ah, Special Agent Gibbs. Glad to know I've gotten your attention. I'll tell you what I want. I want to see if Carly is as good as I think she is. And the only way I'll know is if you let her out to find your Abby."



"She's not being released until Abby is back here." Gibbs told him.



"Well now that's too bad for Abigail then isn't it? You see, I've killed before and even though Abby has a gift all her own, it won't save her life. Only Carly can do that. And since you are being the bastard who doesn't negotiate, her life is over." The audible click of the phone made Tony shake.



Gibbs looked at his watch. Three hours. He had heard the determination in that altered voice. Abby would die if Carly didn't find her. McGee had traced the phone call but Gibbs knew it was another dead end. He slapped the back of DiNozzo's head. "McGee, gas the truck. Ziva, Tony, gear up. I'll bring Carly down."



They all scrambled to do as ordered. They all wanted Abby back.