- Text Size +
Gibbs and Carly were in the elevator going down to the parking garage. "What do you need?" he asked her.



"I don't know."



"You don't know?" Gibbs shouted.



"I've never used my ability in a case. I’m a forensic scientist; if I can't prove it then it isn't evidence." She looked at Jethro wanting back the man that had kissed her goodbye this morning but knowing he wouldn't be back anytime soon. "My Nana..."



"Your Nana what?" he asked.



"She was clairvoyant as well. She helped find missing people in the 1920's. She told me once that she always went to the last known location of the missing person."



"From what Tony says that would be Abby's apartment." Gibbs told her walked her out to the truck.



Carly nodded. "Let's start there."



------



Carly stood at the door to Abby's apartment. Goosebumps covering her arms, she reached out and opened the door aware that every minute this took was one more that Abby didn't have. Her mind started absorbing information as soon as she entered the front room. Feeling the eyes watching her she closed her eyes to concentrate. One name kept coming up over and over. Shenandoah State Park in Virginia. She told Gibbs and they were all back in the truck and racing to the park.



"Abby said you used to camp out at that park, Carly." Tony said in the quiet of the truck.



She had nothing to hide so she answered. "I did. Virginia is a beautiful state, especially in the spring and fall seasons. I haven't been there in years though."



"So why pick this place to take Abby?" he wanted to know. Ziva kept watching her, looking for signs that she was lying.



"I don't know yet Tony, but when I find out, I'll tell you." Carly turned and looked out the window.



This close circle of people were all doubting her and watching the minutes fly by on the clock. Abby was down to two hours and that was if the voice on the line hadn't been stringing them along. She swallowed and took a breath as Jethro pulled the truck to a stop. She had been honest when she told him she didn't know how this worked. All she knew was what her Nana had told her and her instincts said. She hoped it was enough.



--------



The team stepped out of the truck, Jethro and Tony flanking Carly. Ducky had come along to tend to Abby when she was found and he was the only one of the group that would meet Carly's eye. She looked around and started walking into the woods. Her step never faltered even when she would cock her head to the side as if listening to some inner voice. Gibbs watched all of this, trying to reconcile this woman with the one he made love to the night before. He wasn't sure if he could. She stopped as abruptly as she had started. They were in a clearing and she turned in a complete circle. Gibbs looked at his watch. They had been walking for 30 minutes. He looked back at Carly and noticed her staring at a patch of ground ten feet away. She ran to it murmuring, "No, no, no, no..." and fell to her knees. Using her fingers she started digging in the dirt. Tim went over and started to help as did Ducky.



"Come on, you're telling me he buried her?" Tony asked, then stopped and stared at the spot they were digging. He ran over and sank down helping pull dirt off.



Ziva and Gibbs moved to help as well. They hadn't cleared a lot of dirt when they heard people talking. Two young couples were hiking on the trail and stopped when they spotted the team digging with their hands.



"Dudes, if you're going to bury treasure you need a shovel." One young man said.



"Dude, you got one?" Tim asked before Tony or Gibbs could scare them off.



"Sure man, here you go." The other guy said, pulling out a folding shovel.



Tony grabbed it as the first young man took his out and handed it to Gibbs.



"Do you have anything else we can dig with?" Carly asked and took the tin plates from the ladies, handing them out to Ziva, Tim and Ducky, keeping one for herself.



The two shovels hit something solid and they starting scraping frantically. They paused when they uncovered a wood coffin and the two couples screamed when they heard something thump from inside. Tony and Gibbs each moved to one side, one man at each end. Using the tips of the shovels the pried the lid open and Abby popped up holding an oxygen canister like she was about to hit someone.



"Tony!" She yelled hoarsely and he sat down, dragging her out of the coffin, into his lap.



"Abby! Abby!" He said, holding her, running his hands over her to assure himself she was all right.



Ducky was kneeling next to them. "Tony, let me check her out." When Tony wouldn't let her go, Ducky resorted to Gibbs' tactics. He slapped the back of his head. "Anthony, let me make certain she is alright."



Tony eased his hold on her and Ducky started examining her. Tim and Ziva were working on getting the coffin out of the ground and Gibbs was interrogating the campers. Once Ducky noted that the only injuries Abby had was a bump to the back of her head and bruised and bloodied hands from pounding against the lid of the coffin, he let Tony take her back in his arms. Head on his shoulder, Abby asked quietly, "Where's Carly?"



The entire team looked around the clearing. No one had seen her walk off but there was no doubt about it. Carly was gone.