- Text Size +
Gibbs was driving, once again taking direction from someone else's 'gut'. That was the only way his mind would accept what was happening. He didn't remember much about Poe's story, but Abby had taken the time to refresh everyone's memory in between telling him where to turn and to go faster. The second team of agents couldn't keep up and were also constantly interrupting by radioing for directions. Abby finally told them to pull up the GPS of his cell phone to track them that way. By the time she told them to stop, he was fully aware that if Abby's 'gut' was right, Carly was watching a blade swing like a pendulum right about now. He had no idea what kind of mental state she would be in when they got to her, if they got to her, when...he refused to think otherwise. He was damn sure she'd be a sight worse than Abby was at being buried alive.

"He knows we're here." Abby announced and the team scanned the surrounding trees. "He's happy, gleeful even and he feels satisfaction that he's drawn us here but especially you Gibbs. He's very happy you're here."

Gibbs nodded, making sure he kept his guard up.

"How does he know?" Tim whispered.

"He's a telepath." Abby told him. When she got more incredulous looks she got huffy. "If you believe I can feel your feelings and Carly's and his then you have to believe other abilities exist!"

She stepped out to lead and Tony grabbed her back to him. "Tony!" She protested and he kissed her once more.

"I love you Abby." He told her. "And when we get back to my place, you're moving in with me."

She stared at him, opening to his feelings and she smiled. "Let's go get Carly from this maniac first, Tony, then we move my things."

They moved as one and wound through the woods towards a stream. Abby looked left and right before tilting her head and staring at the bridge downstream from their position. It was an old bridge used for trains. Gibbs saw her hesitation and moved in that direction. If Abby was staring it had to mean something. This time, there was no clearing, not the way it had been where Abby was found. Trees were removed so as to keep the bridge and tracks free of obstacles. Under the bridge, tucked out of sight of onlookers and railway personnel was a table about four feet from the ground. Solid wood, with straps attached for arms and legs. Above the table, the group stared as a giant blade swung back and forth, polished to blind in direct sunlight, now it gleamed deadly in the light from the setting sun.

"Holy shit, don't tell me he's practiced this before." Tony said.

"How do we stop it?" Tim asked.


At the sound of their voices, Carly turned her head. From the colorless skin on her cheeks to the dullness in her eyes, Gibbs knew she had already accepted she would die and it would be hell. Voice toneless and quiet she told them, "He has a plan B. If you unstrap me, he'll use a small amount of explosive to blow part of the bridge. He's very determined."

The laughter again, this time unaltered and with a face to go with it. Narrowing his eyes, Gibbs didn't move his gun in the direction of Captain Downey. The man's thumb wasn't on the trigger but it wouldn't take him a second to move it and hit the button. Gibbs stared at the man, hating him and remembering what Abby had said. He carefully blanked all thoughts from his mind except those dealing with Carly. When the Captain's face lit up from the memory Gibbs recalled he raised his gun and shot him between the eyes. The detonator fell from his nerveless fingers just moments before he crumpled himself.

Abby cried out and ran to Carly. Unstrapping her quickly, she pulled her friend up and into a bear hug. "Carly!" she screamed in her ear.

Carly jerked away and stumbled over a few steps, losing what little food was still in her system. Gibbs walked over to her, pulling her to him. Once more, Carly jerked away, this time exclaiming, "Don't touch me!" She bent over again and caught her breath. Putting her hand to her mouth, tears in her eyes, she shook her head. "He's done this before. Put people here and watched as they watched time slip away from them. Listened to them scream as the blade barely brushed their clothing enough to fray it. Took pleasure in watching them be cut up, little by little. And that clearing, where Abby was? He's buried people there. As a police Captain, how could he keep these things hidden?"

Ducky stood close to her, watching her carefully before reaching out to put his hand on her shoulder. He was the one person she didn't shy away from. She leaned on him and he walked her away. He could come back for the body once he had her settled. Gibbs, Tony, Ziva and Tim looked everywhere but at each other. Trust was important for teammates and today they had doubted one of their own. The thing that puzzled everyone was, why had Carly allowed Ducky to help her and refused even Abby's help?
Chapter End Notes:
Again, thanks to Tony for letting me pick his brain for ideas. ;) He's brilliant!