- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Abby and Gibbs have a slow dance. Director Shepherd has more regret.
The band shifted gears into a softer mood, a slow dance, a romantic song done by the rock group Queen in their heyday. Jethro said gently, “Abs…want to try this too?”

Abby didn’t hesitate but went into Gibbs’ arms, curling one arm up across his shoulder while her other hand was covered by his.

Don't touch me now
Don't hold me now
Don't break the spell darling
Now you are near
Look in my eyes and speak to me
The special promises I long to hear

Gibbs looked into Abby’s eyes, green as oriental jade, and murmured to her, “You know of course, I’m the envy of just about every man here, having such a beautiful woman as my date. Thank you again for agreeing to come to this with me, and I promise I’ll make it up to you later. I’ll even go to a metal concert with you if you want.”

“Awwww, Gibbs, that’s so sweet. But you know I’d do anything for my silver-haired fox…” She smiled at him. “And it’s nice to dance with someone who’s not shorter than me.”

In her black patent leather sandals, Abby was the same height as Jethro, and it flashed through his mind (not for the first time) how well matched they would be in bed… --Stop thinking like that, Jethro, he told himself ruefully. She’s your friend. She doesn’t think of you any other way than as a friend. Maybe a big brother. Still, she HAD reacted when you kissed her in the lab the other day…

The sparkle in Abby’s eyes warmed him, and her husky voice caused a tightening in his groin, as she whispered, “Remember slow dances when you were in high school? When the lights were low? That was the time to sneak a kiss from your dance partner.” She dropped her eyes for a moment, and tightened her hold on his hand as she moved seductively against him.

--Oh. Maybe not a big brother. Maybe…The intensity of the moment was just to sweet to pass up, and when Abby raised her eyes to him again, Gibbs didn’t hesitate. He lowered his head slightly and brushed her lips with his own, tentatively at first, and then with more confidence. Abby slid her free hand from round his neck to run it through his hair, before pulling him closer to her, deepening the kiss.

Las palabras de amor
Let me hear the words of love
Despacito mi amor
Love me slow and gently

She tasted like wine and lavender warmed by sunlight and all the sweetness that he’d ever known her to have, and there were promises on her lips as he ran his tongue over them, then explored the delicious mysteries of her mouth. --I may never get this chance again, he thought to himself, --and I want it to be memorable. Dancing with this beautiful girl in my arms, her body against mine, her lips holding me captive…it doesn’t get much better. Well, it might, but his heart didn’t want him writing cheques that his mind wouldn’t let him cash. --Let’s just see how the night goes, his heart said.

Gibbs didn’t know if he was impatient for the evening’s commitments to be over so he could find out what was next, or if he wanted to freezeframe this dance for hours. As she had in the lab, Abby kissed Gibbs back with equal vigour, flicking her tongue over his lips and into his mouth with surety. When at last they parted, reluctantly, and gazed at each other, she smiled and clung a little closer to him, and whispered in his ear,
“Don’t think you’re going to get off with just a goodnight kiss or two, Gibbs. You’d better be ready to go for it, finally.”

Oh. Dear. God. Gibbs wasn’t a religious man, but he sent a quick prayer out to whatever gods, angels, saints or fates might be listening. Please, he said, could we have a quiet end to this assignment? No shootings, arrests, interrogations or other crises? Could we have a night like normal people have?

The gods, angels, saints or fates must have been listening, because the evening passed pleasantly and uneventfully. Jethro danced with Ziva several times, and took Abby to the floor whenever they weren’t mingling or strolling the perimeter of the ballroom. He studiously ignored Jen other than to talk about matters relating to work, and even when Ducky spirited Ziva off and Tony took Abby up for a turn on the floor, Gibbs remained courteously at the table with the Director, but wouldn’t engage in anything but work chat. As soon as Ducky came back, Gibbs slipped away to have a word with the head of the Secret Service team watching the Secretary of State, and then did another perimeter walk before returning with a glass of soda water for himself and a Red Bull for Abby.

And then it was the end of the ball, with the lights going up and men bringing their partners’ wraps to them, and cars pulling up at the front of the hotel. Tony caught Gibbs and took him aside for a minute. “Boss, don’t take this wrong,” he said quietly, “But if you want to leave, Ziva and I can finish up here and go back to the shop to debrief.”

Gibbs studied his senior field agent. There was no mocking air about Tony; he was as serious as Jethro had ever seen him, except for that terrible day when Kate was killed. They regarded each other for a moment, and then Tony added, “There is no rule that says you can’t be happy, Jethro. Boss. We can reach you if we need to, but we won’t need to.”

Another moment’s quiet regard, and then Gibbs nodded. “Okay, Tony, you’re in charge. Finish up, then go home, both of you—all of you, McGee too. We’re all off tomorrow, and I’ll see you at 0730 on Monday.” He turned to go, then looked back. “And Tony? Thanks. You’ve done a great job, all of you.”

Returning to the table where Jen, Ducky, Abby and Ziva were waiting, he flashed his most charming smile at all of them. “I’ll just say goodnight to the Sec Nav, and then I’m off,” he said. He pulled Abby’s chair out for her to rise, adjusted her shawl over her graceful shoulders, his hands lingering for just a few seconds longer than casual. He leaned over and said in a stage whisper to Ducky, “Now you behave yourself when you take the Director home. She has martial arts training, you know….” Ducky chuckled, and helped Jen on with her jacket.

“Good night, Jethro…Abby. Good work tonight, all of you,” she said quietly. She had masked her face, not letting her emotions show as they had earlier in the evening, but her body was reminding her of the great pleasure her forensic scientist would probably be enjoying in a short time, while she herself went home to an empty bed and dreamed of paris. She laughed at something Ducky said, continuing the charade she had played most of the evening, but all she could really hear was the mocking sound, tick-tock, tick-tock…as her biological clock scoffed at her pride and her folly.

One foolish world so many souls
Senselessly hurled through
The never ending cold
And all for fear and all for greed
Speak any tongue
But for God's sake we need
Las palabras de amor
Chapter End Notes:
One of my favourite songs ever is Queen's Las Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love). Seemed like a good inspiration for a song fic/romance