- Text Size +
Chapter 9

‘If you would stop your incessant nagging, you could actually get some work done,' Roy protested. Jenny had rarely ceased arguing with him since she realized how very differently they each attempted to react to each situation. Her desire to maintain control of her own life was causing her to alienate the one person she needed to bring over to her way of thinking.
‘I wouldn't have to nag incessantly if you would stop asking insipid questions about my job and just let me do it!' she replied in annoyance.
‘I'm sorry, but sitting back and watching you live your incredibly boring, sexless life does not appeal to my adventurous nature,' Roy continued.
‘I don't give a flip about your adventurous nature. I want my body back,' she argued in response.
‘Lady, this wasn't my idea. I'd be a lot more calm if you'd just let me smoke a cigar every now and then,' he pointed out.
‘Absolutely not,' she shivered in disgust.
‘Like they always say, what you don't know won't hurt you,' Roy thought with a smirk.
‘You wouldn't dare!' Jenny protested.
‘You don't know me well enough to know what I would or wouldn't dare,' he countered.
‘Mmffttt! Just go away and leave me alone!' she screamed in her mind. Having to share her body with Roy was truly wreaking the careful, organized life Jenny typically led, and she was fast approaching her breaking point.
"Well, that was a nice expression," Tony said, closing the door and walking further into the office.
"Sorry, just venting some frustration," Jenny responded with a smile as Agent DiNozzo sat down in the chair opposite her desk.
"What's going on with you?" he asked.
"I'm not sure what you mean," Jenny evaded his question.
"Oh please, Jen, I know you. We've become friends over the past two years. Particularly close friends lately," Tony added suggestively.
Jen smiled. "Tony, I'm sorry for confusing you. I'm just having a difficult time recovering from the accident," she explained.
"I'm not confused," Tony protested. "Kate's back," he said softly.
Tony watched as mixture of emotions flashed across the Director's face before she was able to school her features into her normal bright smile. "That's wonderful," she replied, feigning sincerity. "I thought you were with Ziva now."
‘Hey!' Roy protested in Jenny's mind. ‘Let's not go there.'
‘Too late,' she teased him back.
"Well, I guess I am, sort of," Tony tried to explain. "I honestly don't know what's going on. But I have noticed you have been behaving strangely, and it's made me a bit worried."
"There is no need to worry, Tony, I am sure I will manage," she responded.
"Stress levels are pretty high down there, with everyone trying to find Palmer and solve this case. I'd better get back to it." He paused a moment. "Jen, I'm here if you change your mind and want to talk," Tony said as he rose and left the office.
‘Great job,' Jen thought. ‘You can't even fool DiNozzo.'
‘He's a trained investigator that you've been sleeping with. I would be surprised if he didn't notice something,' Roy added.
‘I only slept with him once, and please GET OUT OF MY THOUGHTS!'
Roy chuckled as Jen laid her head on her desk. She really needed some rest. Or medication.

---

Noah rushed into the bullpen in an obviously agitated state.
"Where's Gibbs?" he asked Ziva, not stopping, but instead continuing to search for his boss while waiting for a response.
"I believe he's in autopsy," Ziva answered, confused. "Is everything okay?"
"No, everything is NOT okay," he said as he raced toward the elevator. Intrigued, Ziva rose and quickly followed him, just making it inside before the elevator doors closed. Noah wasn't easily upset, and something had clearly shaken him.
"Noah, what's wrong?" she asked.
"In a minute," he responded. "I don't want to go over it twice," he said curtly.
Gone was his normal teasing tone. In its place was one of stress and frustration – almost like annoyance.
"Sorry," she said softly, turning away from him.

---

"Is there any word, Jethro," Ducky asked, his eyes full of concern.
"We're working on it," Gibbs said, trying to reassure his friend. "We'll find him."
"But will it be in time?" Ducky asked.
"You can't let yourself go there, Duck," Gibbs said. "We picked up Wells. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to get anything out of him yet. If Diamond were here, we could…"
His words were interrupted as Noah and Ziva pushed into the room. Catching Diamond's expression, Gibbs was immediately alert.
"What is it?" he asked.
"They've executed Malcolm and several others," Noah reported.
"Who has?" Gibbs asked, still confused.
"Whoever has Jimmy," Noah clarified.
"What?!" Ducky exclaimed.
"We found another note, which I've already taken to Abby and McGee. I'm afraid this is personal, Gibbs," Noah continued.
"You're darn right it is," Gibbs replied, giving the statement a completely different meaning. "With me," he ordered, storming back through the doors and to the elevator. Noah, Ziva and Ducky all followed him as he went directly into interrogation. Gibbs motioned for Noah to join him in the interrogation room, as the others joined Tony and Maggie in observation.
Gibbs walked directly up to Wells, took him by the collar and slammed him against the wall.
"Where are Caldwell and Palmer?" he demanded. "This is your last chance to tell us willingly, and then all bets are off."
"Got it, Boss," Noah said, sneering at Wells. "They're alive, and are being held in the basement of an abandoned house on the outskirts of Manassas." Noah left the room and gave the full address and information to Tony so that the team could get there quickly, and then went back in to interrogation. Gibbs left with the rest of the team, but Director Shepard had come down to observe the interrogation. Noah smirked at her through the glass.
"I lost several friends today because of the man who hired you," Noah said to Wells in a very threatening tone. Fortunately, Wells was blissfully unaware of the supernatural natures of both Noah and the man who hired him. Noah was able to garner all the information Wells had on the man who hired him by simply directing his thoughts. Noah rose and moved slowly toward the door, a look of determination coloring his beautiful features. Before exiting, he turned to face Wells once again. "You're going away for a long time," he said with conviction as he left.