- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This Story is slash non NCIS pairing of Speed/Ryan.

Ryan travels to Atlanta to see his cousin Ezra. Unfortunately it is not a happy trip.
Speed looked at his younger lover as he slept. Something was bothering Ryan but so far Speed had been unable to get the younger man to open up and tell him what was the matter. He could tell something was bothering the younger man because his OCD was acting up. Ryan had even cleaned up Speed’s things in the storage area, something the younger man had never done before.

Ryan was leaving for Atlanta in the morning to visit his cousin Ezra, so that could be the reason for his mood, he might be nervous about the trip.

It was odd though, Speed didn’t remember Ryan mentioning this trip last week though his lover claims that he did. Speed shook his head, must be all of the double shifts he worked lately. It could be the baby. Erza and his wife were expecting soon, maybe she had the baby. That might just be it. Ryan hadn’t invited Speed along. In the 6 months they had been together, Ryan had invited Speed to visit his family several times, at least in the beginning. Speed had always refused, even though he knew some of them, at least. He never gave Ryan a reason and eventually his young lover stopped asking.

Speed was somewhat ashamed of the reason for his reluctance to meet with the people who Ryan claimed as family. Ryan’s older cousin, Tony had sent Ryan to Speed asking the CSI to watch out for the new college graduate as he set out on his own for the first time. Speed was sure that Tony didn’t include seducing the younger man in a list of taking care of him. He knew that Tony was aware of their relationship, or rather the change in the relationship going from roommates to lovers. Ryan had been adamant that his family know, as adamant in that as he was that none of their colleagues know.

Although Speed trusted his colleagues implicitly he knew that Ryan had valid concerns about both of them being outed while working for the PD. Tony the same cousin who brought them together had nearly died from a gay based bias attack a few years ago. Speed remembered how badly injured his friend was from the attack and couldn’t bring himself to ask Ryan to risk himself in a similar manner. Speed knew that his colleagues wouldn’t have a problem with the relationship though he was sure he would be teased because his lover was so much younger. No, he feared for Ryan because patrol was very different that working in the labs. Ryan would be in much more danger than Speed ever would be if their relationship ever became public knowledge.

He hoped that oneday he would be able to convince his lover to at least let him tell Alexx about them. He was sure that if she ever met Ryan she would treat Ryan as another son much the way she treated Speed.

His paranoia had grown to the point that he no longer answered his phone when he knew the call was coming from Tony or Ezra. So he atively tuned out when his lover spoke about his family. It wasn’t surprising that He knew nothing about this trip.

He needed to get to sleep, Ryan’s flight was an early one and he had to be in work immediately afterwards. Speed cuddled close to his lover and relaxed into sleep savoring the closeness, he would miss Ryan while he was gone.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

The shrill of a cell phone broke through the stillness of the bedroom. The bed’s only occupant stirred at the noise stifling a groan. Too many long days and double shifts, then coming home to an empty, lonely bed meant Tim Speedle was short on sleep. Thankfully one of his problems would be solved soon, later today in fact. His lover was due back today.

Speed turned over and lay there for a minute, the phone had stopped ringing by this point. He picked it up and smiled as he noted the call was from Ryan. It would be nice to have the younger man back at home. It was strange, Ryan had only been living with him first as a roommate then as a lover for the past 8 months but even after such a short time Speed was acutely aware of the younger man’s absence. They had spoken on the phone a few times while the younger man was away and Speed could tell something was still bothering Ryan. It was something that he would have to work, on getting his lover to open up to him today once Ryan got home.

Speed dialed the voice mail to retrieve the message. Ryan left the flight details in his short message and informed his lover that he would be turning off his phone and would be unavailable until the flight landed back in Miami. Speed called him back on the off chance he was able to catch his lover before he turned off the phone. Unable to reach Ryan, Speed left him a message, letting Ryan know he would be at the airport to pick the younger man up. Though the flight from Atlanta was not a long one Speed stillhad an hour before he had to leave for the airport. He showered and started preparations for a light meal. He knew that Ryan was due back on patrol tonight so he was pretty sure that the first order of business would be a nap, maybe with some quality one on one time first. He wanted Ryan to have something light to eat if he was hungry before going to sleep for the day.

While he went about his tasks Speed thought back to the message Ryan left him. He sounded oddly subdued and his voice seemed distorted. It was something more than the distraction that Speed had picked up on prior to Ryan’s leaving for Atlanta.

Speed checked his watch, it was nearly time to leave for the airport. He really wanted to take the Ducati and ride double with his lover but he knew that Ryan would have too much baggage to make that feasible.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ryan shuffled to his seat like an old man. He was hurting. He wore sunglasses but that didn’t completely cover the large bruise that covered most of the left side of his face and caused his left eye to nearly be swollen shut. He almost, ALMOST regretted getting between his cousin Tony and the fist one of Ezra’s FBI coworkers. Almost , because the bruise to his face, actually the fracture to his cheek bone, was the only thing keeping his cousin out of jail. Ryan signaled the flight attendant and asked for a glass of water taking his medications as soon as one was provided. The pain meds would allow him to deal with the change in pressure on his sinuses.

Honestly he couldn’t even blame Tony for losing what little grip the older man had on is temper. Ezra shot and half dead in the hospital, his wife dead, their daughter born prematurely by cesarean section just prior to her mother’s death and in the NICU fighting for her life as well. All too much to handle.

Then apparently one of the FBI agents from the Atlanta office, someone who worked with Ezra in the past, made some remark about Ezra getting what he deserved for associating with “towel heads” and that even his girlfriend was one of them and wasn’t it sad that she died so quickly, joking about it to another agent.

If Ryan had heard it himself, he isn’t sure he wouldn’t have done exactly what Tony did. Deck the FBI guy and let the consequences be damned. Joe and Ryan pulled Tony off the Fed, when the Feebee came up swinging and hit Ryan instead of Tony. The other agents present intervened and the fight was quickly subdued.

The agent Tony hit was out for blood threatening him with charges for assaulting a federal officer, Joe quietly took the man aside and explained how Ryan could also have him charged and since he was an innocent bystander it would not look good on the FeeBees record, not to mention the repercussions if a civil suit was filed.

Ryan was grateful for all of that, but it didn’t make his face hurt any less. Tony was just pissed as hell at him. Angry that Ryan has intervened and was injured. After being yelled at Ryan currently wasn’t speaking to Tony.

Then there was Speed to deal with. He loved his lover but after the past few days he came to the realization that the older man may not feel the same way about him, most likely did not in fact love Ryan. If he did love Ryan then Ryan would have been able to depend on Speed, would have been able to tell the older man about the shooting and ask him to go to Atlanta with him.

Ryan didn’t even mention the shooting to Speed, the number of times that Speed had refused to accompany Ryan to both his uncle Ron’s home, which was where they lived in Miami and to visit Tony’ daughter in Orlando leading him to believe that the other man would have no interest in accompanying Ryan Atlanta, even though this was for a crisis.

It hurt that Speed might see Ryan as little more than a friend with benefits. Then Ryan reminded himself that Tony basically dumped him on Speed not really giving Speed the chance to refuse.

Even if Speed did care about him, did love him, Ryan wanted a partner who would be willing to share his life, good times and bad, be part of his family. A partner who would be willing to stand with him in the waiting room of a hospital waiting to find out if his cousin would live or die. Speed, with his refusal to be part of that portion of Ryan’s life, might not really be in this relationship for keeps, even if he did love Ryan.

He caught grief from several people over Speed’s absence. He almost felt lucky that he was injured and then yelled at by Tony. Tony would definitely be the one person who would be willing to risk Ryan’s temper to question why Speed was not present. Good thing he didn’t have the chance before the fists started flying.


Ryan recognized that his thoughts were starting to run in circles and willed his mind to empty. He felt sleep pulling at him and settled in to nap for the short trip to Miami. Regardless of where his relationship was going there would be strong arms, loving arms surrounding him in a few hours. It was definitely a thought to hold on to after the past few days of emotional ups and downs. Ryan sliped into a restless sleep as the plane coasted up the runway for takeoff. Visions of fists flying, hospital waiting rooms, funeral services and a lover at turns not caring and then leaving him to cope on his own causing his rest to be fitfull.

@@@@@@@@@

Speed anxiously awaited Ryan’s arrival in the terminal. He was waiting at the baggage claim area, several passengers from the flight Ryan was on had already arrived in the area and the conveyor had already started moving bags out from the flight. Ryan was nowhere in sight as yet. Speed thought over the limited contact that had had the past few days. There was something there, even more so then the small sense that something was wrong before Ryan left.

He had listened to the last messae Ryan left him a few times in the past hour. It was good to hear his voice even distorted as it was over a cell phone. The reception must have been worse than usual because Ryan’s voice sounded even more distorted than normal.

Speed was beginning to become concerned. Most of the luggage for fight had already been claimed. The passengers for the flight dispersing and still no sign of Ryan. He had collected Ryan’s bags so he was reasonably certain that the man had gotten on the flight.

Then he saw the younger man slowly picking his way through the crowd. Speed’s stood there and took in his lover’s appearance, drinking it in, God he had missed Ryan and it had only been 3 days. Speed slowly came to realize that something was amiss. For some reason his lover was wearing sunglasses indoors. Ryan hardly ever wore glasses even at the beach and here it was inside and he had them on. Speed filed that away to investigate later he grabbed the bags and started off to meet his lover halfway through the terminal. Once he was close enough he grabbed the younger man and pulled him close, wraping his arms around his love and burying his face in the crook of Ryan’s neck. “I missed y6ou he murmured as he quickly let the younger man go. They had agreed back at the beginning of their relationship no PDAs no outing themselves at work. Ryan had insisted on it. Speed was well aware why but it was getting harder for him to comply. He really wanted to let some of his fellow CSIs know.

Speed pulled back from Ryan and took off the younger man’s glasses wanting to look into the hazel eyes that he loved so much.

“What the hell happened to you?”
Chapter End Notes:
Part of my Terrorist Trap universe. Filling in back story . This deals with Speed/ Ryan's relationship which has been mentioned in Miami Vacation. It also deals with the death of Ezra's wife. There is something in this story that will be further explained in Miami vacation about WHY Tony gets as protective of Ezra as he does.

Written for the blanketfort community on LJ. This is the second part to my fic Safety. It was supposed to be a one chapter effort but that is a pipe dream now... cant seem to write short fics. This fic is set about 19 years after after Safety. There is a third story in the arc.