- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Life as a newlywed seems to fit the young assassin, and retirment is beginning to appeal to her in favour of motherhood. But when her marriage is cut short, and her husband's body is found in the very alley that haunts her dreams, she's given two choices. Turn to the man she's left behind for help, or die to settle an old score.
Sarai woke to the horrible twisting of her stomach, one that she was familiar with. She slid quickly out of bed, flying to the bathroom. She locked the door behind her, not wanting Tyler to come in and see her, and knelt in front of the toilet, her body convulsing. Afterwards, she put the back of her hand to her mouth, swearing silently. “Oh, God, I can’t do this.” She whispered to herself. There was a knock at the door, and Tyler was asking her if she was alright, concern in his voice, and she swore again. “It’s nothing.” She called out to him. “I’m fine, go back to bed.” She got up and washed her mouth out before going back to him. He was sitting in bed, leaning against the headboard, waiting for her.
“You don’t always have to be so self-sufficient.” He said gently as she slipped back under the covers. He pulled her into his arms, and she winced inwardly as his hands rested on her stomach. “You should really let me take care of you sometimes.”
She curled into him, tucking her dark head under his chin. “I’ve always taken care of myself.” She replied easily. “Besides, you work hard enough as it is.”
He sighed, deciding not to bother with this argument. It was one he’d never won before, and he had the feeling he wasn’t going to start winning it now. He glanced at the clock. “Speaking of work, it’s almost time for us to get up anyway. I might be a little late coming home today, alright?”
Sarai nodded, turning her head to kiss him. “That’s fine. Gen and I have lots to do anyway.” Including some personal things. “I’ll see you tonight.”
Tyler got up and pulled on his uniform before heading out. She bit her lip and did the same, deciding to skip breakfast in favour of a little trip to the pharmacy.



“What am I going to do?” cried Sarai, falling into her chair.
Genevieve hovered nearby, her blonde hair swinging as she shook her head. “I really have no idea.” She replied, apologetically. “I’ve never been in this situation before.”
“It just figures.” Said Sarai miserably. “Doesn’t it just figure?”
“Why?” Gen’s blue eyes were puzzled.
“Because I’m the worst person to even consider being a mother! This can’t be happening.” Moaned Sarai.
Gen rolled her eyes. “Oh, don’t be melodramatic. You’ll be a great mother, and if you really don’t want the baby, get an abortion, or give it up for adoption.”
“I do want the baby.” Said Sarai, head in her hands. “I want it, but I don’t want it, you know? I like the idea of being a mom, I just don’t think it’s a good thing for me right now.”
“Have you told him yet?”
Sarai glanced up at her friend, uncomprehendingly. “What?”
Gen sighed, sitting down next to her. “Did you tell Tyler?” she asked again.
“No. I only figured out this morning. He was already at work.”
“You could have called him.”
“He’s busy!”
“Email?”
“Not an appropriate way to tell him.”
“Then are you going to tell him tonight?”
“I don’t know.” Hedged Sarai.
Gen threw her hands in the air, frustrated. “You’re impossible. Fine, but it’ll be pretty hard to ignore once you start to show. Not even men are that dense.”
“I know. I know.” Muttered Sarai. “I’ll tell him as soon as I can, okay?”
Gen nodded shortly. “Good. Now quit sulking and get over here, these tests aren’t going to do themselves.”



When Sarai got home, only a half hour later than usual, she saw the light on inside. She smiled and pushed the door open, then paused. The stereo was on, playing quietly, and the table was set with all sorts of formality. She bit her lip, turning to Tyler, who was leaning against the wall, waiting for her response. “What is all this?” she asked incredulously.
He stepped up to her, putting his arms around her waist and kissing her softly. “Don’t you like it?” he asked, laughing a little.
“I love it, but what’s the occasion?” she was afraid that she’d forgotten some important date.
He shrugged. “Nothing in particular, I just wanted to surprise you.”
“Well you’ve certainly done that.” She laughed. “I’m guessing from that table that there’s a very nice dinner ready for tonight.”
He nodded, leading her over and pulling out the chair for her. “After putting up brave fight, I finally managed to make us some spaghetti. Unfortunately, it was at the cost of dessert, so no sugar for my girl today.” He joked, filling their plates before sitting down across from her. “So how was work in ancient Persia?”
Sarai rolled her eyes, poking at the food without much of an appetite. “Cathy’s about jumping off the walls, she’s so excited. She thinks we’ve stumbled onto what’s left of a stop on the underground railroad. The last time I saw her this way was when Gen told Theo to shove his ego up his ass.” She replied, glancing at her wine glass and wishing she could drink it.
Tyler noticed that she hadn’t eaten anything yet. “Did I really do that badly?” he asked, anxiously.
“No!” she hastened to reassure him. “I’m just nervous.”
“About what?”
“I’m trying to figure out who’s birthday it is, or if it’s some anniversary or another.” She admitted.
He laughed. “Can’t a man just set up a romantic night for the woman he loves?” he asked, feigning hurt.
“A man, sure, but not you.” She teased back. “Well, which is it?”
“Let’s dance.” He said, changing the subject as he jumped up, pulling her with him. He changed the settings on the stereo and drew her towards him, leading their steps in small circles as they danced. There were slow songs, club songs, and even a jazz piece or two, but she still started laughing when Taylor Swift’s Love Story started playing. They danced, thoroughly insulting the steps of the Minuet, but towards the end of the song, he let go of her.
“Romeo save me, I’ve been feeling so alone, I keep waiting for you, but you never come, is this in my head, I don’t know what to think.” Sang the CD, and Sarai froze as Tyler got down on one knee, a small box materializing in his hand. “He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said, Marry me Juliet, you’ll never have to be alone.” The music sounded worlds away, and she couldn’t hear what he was saying, even as she watched his lips move. Her legs gave way under her, and he had to catch her, holding her close as spots flashed in front of her eyes.
“Are you okay?” She heard him say, sound finally returning to her. “Hey, Kyra, look at me, honey.” She threw her arms around him, startling him, and started crying. He rubbed her back, confused. “Is that a yes or a no?” he asked gently.
“I don’t know, Oh god, I don’t know.” She sobbed, burying her face in his shirt. “I’m sorry.” She said, hiccupping as she calmed down.
“Hey, I’m still just hoping you’re alright.” He said seriously. “What’s wrong?” He lifted her up and brought her over to the couch, pulling her into his lap.
“Lane was right, you know, I’m trouble.” She said desperately. “I always will be. I want to say yes, I want us to be forever, but…” she struggled to explain without telling the truths he couldn’t afford to know. “Look, Tyler, I may have been able to stay put for the last five years…”
“Almost six.” He corrected.
“Yes, but it’s not always going to be like that. Eventually, I’ll have to head out again, and I could be gone for years at a time, I might not be able to come back someday. And…the truth is, I….” Was she actually going to tell him? Put him in such a dangerous position? “I…”
He pressed his lips to hers, effectively shutting her up. “Are you even listening to yourself?” he demanded. “I’m the same way. I could be sent out on tour at any time, I might not make it back one of those times, and the tours definitely won’t last less than six months at a time. I don’t care. All that matters is that we both want this and that we both agree to live with the problems, make the best of it.” He held her face in his hands as he spoke, his expression determined.
She took a deep breath. “I’m pregnant.” She whispered, ready for him to backpedal his way out of his proposal.
Instead, a smile spread across his face. “Then I guess I asked just in time, otherwise you would’ve thought I was just doing my duty as a father.” He said firmly.
Sarai was shocked at the ease with which he took her announcement, he actually seemed happy about it. “You really want this?” she asked incredulously.
“Of course I do. I wouldn’t have asked in the first place if I didn’t want it.” He replied, a little indignant. “Do you want me to ask again? Just to be sure?”
She shook her head. “No, I already know my answer.”
His face fell at her tone. “Look, if you’re not comfortable with this, I can give you some space. I’m not going to push you, but I think you’re making a mistake. I’ve been looking for the right woman forever, and you’re the right one. Just because…”
“Yes.”
He started. “What?”
She smiled, hesitantly, and took another deep breath. “Yes, my answer is yes.”
His eyes lit up, and he pulled the ring out of its box, slipping it on her finger and interlacing their fingers. She looked down at the thin silver band. He’d picked a ring that was startlingly perfect for her. The silver threads were wound through each other like a Celtic knot, and hidden underneath the lines was a golden Star of David where another ring might have a gemstone. He tipped her face back up so she was looking into his eyes, and leaned in to kiss her. She couldn’t enjoy it like usual, knowing as she did that she was only going to end up hurting him, but she kissed him back, offering a silent prayer that she might be wrong and he would never feel the pain that she was almost certain to bring him.



A month later, Tyler was driving down to join his new wife at her first doctor’s appointment when he caught sight of someone getting mugged. He pulled over, getting out of the car quickly and racing after the thief. The man turned into an alley, and Tyler smiled grimly. The bastard was trapped. He turned the corner and hit the ground, shot. The other man’s steel grip closed on his arm, dragging him into the back of the alley. The man’s voice was cold. “I imagine your young wife won’t be too happy to see you like this.” He said quietly, his accent thick. “But we don’t have much choice. If she’d just died sixteen years ago when she was supposed to, we wouldn’t be forced to take such drastic actions. Or even if her mother had just minded her business. I don’t suppose you know who you married?”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Spat Tyler, attempting to stop the bleeding on his leg. “And you leave Kyra out of this!”
The man shook his head, amused. “You married a spy’s daughter, and ‘Kyra’, as you call her, has been trained in the family business. Her real name is Sarai Razi Sheppard, and she has quite the talent for living through things she shouldn’t. Fortunately, you aren’t likely to have the same good luck.” Tyler couldn’t believe what he was hearing, but then the gun sent another bullet through the silencer, and he didn’t have to. Michael Tehran knelt down next to the dead man, slicing off his shirt, then he took the knife to his skin, carving in a warning to the woman he was tracking.