- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I own nothing to do with NCIS or it's characters.

You take your girl friend on a date and you have so much fun

That you forget to bring her home until it's after one,

Her father's waiting at the door as angry as can be.
Chapter 2

“Tony, I thought we were going to a movie.” Sarah looked at him questioningly. “Where are we going?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know, actually.”

“What?!” She shrieked. “You don’t have anything planned for our 7 month anniversary?”

Tony smiled as he thought of the day 7 months ago. December 16th. It was her birthday, she hadn’t been able to date until she turned 16. As soon as she was he’d asked her out.

“Tony!” She punched him lightly on the arm. “Where are we going?”

He stopped the car and gave her a mischievous look as he said, “we’re not going anywhere now.” Then he shut the door and slid across the hood quickly. He opened the door and helped her step out. He blind-folded her and took her hands.

“Tony where are we-”

“You’ll see.”

Stopping under a tree, Tony removed the blind-fold and pointed up.

“A tree house?” Sarah was a little confused and skeptical.

“Up you go.” Tony said, pointing up.

Sarah ascended the ladder and looked around. There were three crates, one with a tablecloth and a candle on it. There were other crates that were stacked as shelves and all held pictures, toys, or blankets and pillows.

Tony had made it up the ladder and motioned for her to sit on one of the crates. He looked around him, patting his pockets,

“Looking for something?”

“Yeah a-” He grabbed a small object and brandished it triumphantly. “A Lighter.” He lit the candle and then sat down on the other crate facing Sarah.

“So what are we eating?” Sarah gestured to the plates on the largest crate.

“Turkey sandwiches, to drink, your favorite apple juice.”

As they ate they talked about school, family, everything they could think of.

They talked and talked until their problems were all gone and their minds were winding into the content feeling we all crave.

They both were sitting with a companionable silence between them until Sarah glanced at her watch.

“Oh no! It’s 12:30.”

“What was your curfew?”

“Midnight, what’ll I do?”

“Well, I guess we get you home ASAP.”

She nodded and started to cleanup.

“Don’t bother. I’m coming back later, let’s not waste anytime.” He blew out the candle and stood up.

Down the ladder and back to the car quickly.

Tony still insisted on opening her door for her. Then he rushed over to his side and got in the car.

She’s already late, what’s another 20 minutes gonna do? Tony asked himself. It didn’t matter when he got her home. She was still late. However getting her home by 1 was better than 2 or even later.

Sarah grabbed his hand nearest to her and started nervously playing with his fingers.

“I’m sorry, if I’d known I would’ve watched the clock closer.”

Sarah looked at him, a little surprise in her green eyes. “It’s not your fault. I knew about my curfew. I should’ve paid closer attention to the time.”

He still felt bad, but now Tony turned his concentration to the road. It was gonna be a long drive, although it was only 40 minutes to her house.

When they reached her house, Sarah just sat there. She didn’t want to go in. There was a light on in the living room and a silhouette was outlined in the window.

She sighed and began to get out, when Tony held her hand a little tighter and stopped her.

“I still feel kind of responsible, so how about I walk you in and apologize to your parent’s?” He said it in the form of a question but there was no question about it.

She nodded in spite of this fact and opened the door for herself, waiting for Tony to turn off the car and join her.

The walk across the lawn was grueling and when she quietly opened the door it creaked. She froze where she was and her father, in his bathrobe, pajamas, and slippers came out of the living room into the entrance hall. “What time did we tell you to be back?” He shouted in a whisper.

“What is he doing here? Did you think you we’re going to be able to sneak him up to your bedroom!?” Now he was no longer whisper he was shouting.

“No Daddy-”

“Go up to your room immediately, and you are grounded from this boy for a whole 2 weeks at least!”

“Daddy!” Sarah shouted now.

While her father was gathering his breath for another wind, Tony spoke up.

“How do you do sir?” He held out his hand.

Over his spectacles, Sarah’s father gave him a look that said he was a complete and total idiot. “How do you think I am?!”

“Well, sir the thing is, I think you’re a little upset right now and if I could just say something, I think you’re going to see that all of this shouting is completely unnecessary.”

“What?”

“Well you see, uh sir, me and your daughter were just having a little picnic and we’d been talking for quite a while when Sarah realized it was 12:30. She was in a frenzy and we hurried to get her home.”

Tony paused and her father nodded for him to continue.

“So we drove back as quickly as was reasonably possible and when we got here, she was a little nervous about facing you. So I asked her if she wanted me to walk her to the door. See I kind of felt responsible and I wanted to apologize to you for bringing her home so late. We weren’t going up to her room or anything sir, honest.” He took a breath and squeezed Sarah’s hand. “So you see, sir, I’m sorry I brought her home so late and I will try harder to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Good night.” Tony ducked his head and gave Sarah a quick kiss before turning around and walking out to his car.

Sarah shut the front door and looked at her father. “It’s the truth Daddy.” She said it quietly.

Her father heaved a sigh and looked her over. “I suppose I over reacted a bit.”

“Maybe just a bit.”

“He seems like a nice boy.”

“You’re just realizing this now?”

“Well,” her father grumbled, “no on is ever good enough for my little girl.”

She smiled. “Good night Daddy.” She began walking up the stairs when her father said, “you’re still grounded.”

“What?”

“Only for a day though, tomorrow is Saturday, you’re going to stay home and help your mother tomorrow. She needs help with some baking she’s doing.”

Sarah nodded in a resigned manner and then continued up to her room.

Outside Tony watched as the silhouettes disappeared and the lights in the house went out. Then he drove back to his little treehouse and finished cleaning up.