- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
To our loved ones do we most fear to offer the truth, for it is they who actually matter.
Chapter Twelve

“New Worlds”

"Only a mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of a wolf." ~ Aldo Leopold



Tony was just passing MTAC and about to head down the stairs when his phone rang. He paused at the foot of the stairs, pulled out his cell phone, and saw a number with a 777 area code.

Sighing as he truly did not feel like talking to a fae at the moment, he flipped the phone open, “Hello?” He grumbled into the phone.

“Well, don’t you sound lovely? What is it about wolves and horrible manners?” Came a sultry voice.

“Nemane.” Tony growled. “What do you want?”

“Is that anyway to talk to someone who just did you a rather large favor?” The woman mock pouted.

“Nemane!” Snapped Tony with more of the wolf in his voice than he meant to allow.

“Oh, alright. Don’t get your fur in a twist.” Her voice turning somewhat dry and loosing much of its seductive sound. “Your lady is dead, just as requested.”

“She’s not my lady.” Growled Tony.

“Yes, yes. Would you like to know what happened?”

“I already know she slew her brother and several other cartel members.”

“Yes, she did. Rather brilliant idea, don’t you think.” The ancient fae sound almost like an excited child as she spoke of blood and death. “I had her see visions of enemies in all of them.” She sighed happily, “You have to love the humans. Madness is by the far easiest to implant in them. Any other creature and it takes forever to make them believe the illusions are real, but humans…ahh…mere seconds and they’re at each others throat.”

“Nemane…” Tony half growled, half sighed in exasperation.

“What?...Oh, right. As I was saying, terrified she ran off into the wilderness. She was absolutely convinced that monsters were chasing her…Poor girl.” The fae laughed menacingly before continuing. “She was in such a rush that she didn’t see the cliff in front of her.” The fae giggled like a mischievous child, and when she stopped, Tony had no trouble visualize the murderous smile that was in the fae’s voice as she said, “It took her hours to die.”

Perhaps if the spell making Tony seem human hadn’t been failing at an alarming rate, he would have felt some horror or sympathy at what the fae had said, but Tony was almost fully a werewolf again; he felt nothing but a sense of satisfaction. He was not human. He was a predator, an animal, and, for his kind, vengeance was bloody. Anyone who dared to harm his mate or pack members deserved a long and horrible death. Karma’s a bitch, after all.

Tony barely managed to hide his own murderous smile as he replied to the fae, “Well done. I hold your debt to me fulfilled.” Tony knew better than to thank the fae, for to thank the fae is to sign one’s life over to them in the form of unwilling servitude.

“I don’t need your praise, wolf.” Nemane snarled, spitting out the word ‘wolf’ as though it were a curse. Before Tony could offer his own retort, he heard a sharp click, signifying the end of the phone conversation.

Sighing, Tony snapped his phone shut and moved to lean over the bars to look down at the bullpen and mull over all his new thoughts. Ever since he had left the Director’s office, the thought of whether or not to tell his teammates the truth about himself kept circling in the back of his mind. He knew he would have to tell them eventually, but the question was whether he should just go ahead and get it over with, or if he should keep trying to put off the inevitable.

He sighed and rolled his eyes at his own stupidity. Surly he was old enough to know the pointlessness of procrastination. The wolf growled in agreement within him. The wolf warned him that, despite Tony’s other teammates being considered pack by both the wolf and Tony, it wouldn’t tolerate anymore disrespect.

Sighing, resigned to his fate, Tony pushed away from the bars and headed downstairs. He decided he would gather his team in autopsy as Ducky already knew what he was. Besides, with Vance knowing what he was now, he no longer needed to be concerned with the conversation being video taped.

Stopping in front of McGee’s desk, he told him to tell Abby and Ziva to meet them in autopsy before heading up there himself to give Ducky a heads up.

As he stepped off the elevator, he paused and allowed himself a moment of trepidation. He couldn’t help but think what would happen if they hated him, or worse, feared him. He thought of them as his pack, his family, and the thought of them being afraid of him or hating him tore at his heart. It never mattered how many centuries went by, this was always the hardest part.

Pushing aside his anxieties, he walked into autopsy. Ducky looked up from his desk where he was having a cup of tea, and raised his eyebrows in question while being careful not to look Tony in the eye.

“Anthony. What can I do for you, my boy?” Surprise lacing the old doctor’s voice.

Tony smiled. That was Ducky. He could always count on him to continue treating him as he always had while still managing to appease his wolf with the proper etiquette. In that moment, he felt an immeasurable amount of gratitude towards his old friend. “Thank you, Ducky.”

“For what, my boy?” He inquired.

Tony shook his head, a smile still lingering on his lips. “Never mind. I came up here to tell you I’ve asked the others to gather here.”

Ducky looked up in astonishment, briefly allowing their eyes to meet before looking away once more, “Am I to assume that you are going to tell the others your secret?”

Tony nodded, “Yes, I think it is about time. The spell that was allowing me to appear human has almost completely failed. And it doesn’t seem right they don’t know the truth about me since I just told Vance.”

Now that got the doctor’s attention. Never would the old doctor have guessed that Tony would be willing tell the Director anything. He was well aware how the Director and Tony viewed each other. “W…What? Why?” Ducky uncharacteristically stuttered due to his shock.

Tony smiled somewhat sardonically, “It was tell him or kill him. The guy was yanking on every wolf instinct that I have.” Tony shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly as he continued. “Besides the government already knows what I am and that I work here. I just don’t think that Vance was ever cleared to know.”

Ducky stared at him in open shock, “The government…our government knows? My dear boy, how is that even possible? I mean to say, I would have thought that they…” Ducky trailed off as his mind turned to things he didn’t want to consider possible of the government, but what was still a sad truth.

Tony’s smile was genuine this time in the face of his friend’s worry, “When you have my reputation and power, people, including governments, tend to treat you with a certain amount of respect and leave you alone; letting you do what you want…Up to a point of course. But they leave me alone for the most part.”

Ducky shook his head at the whole situation. He thought he was doing well for someone who had just had the whole way they viewed the world overturned. “Well, I suppose that’s a relief.”

Ducky opened his mouth to say more, but was cut off when the doors to autopsy slide open to admit Abby trailed by Ziva and McGee. Tony, who had turned to watch their entry, turned back to Ducky without a word of greeting to the others, “What about Palmer?” He asked, having momentarily forgotten about his autopsy gremlin.

Ducky shook his head, “He’s off cataloging our supplies. I will inform him of everything at a later time. Why don’t you begin?”

Ziva frowned at the exchange, “Begin what? What’s going on?” She demanded.

“Yeah, Tony. You’ve been acting kind of weird lately.” McGee stated with concern and more than a little apprehension.

“Tony, this isn’t like you. Spill! Is it about the Bossman? He’s okay, right?” Abby demanded to know as she bounced on her platform shoes, black pigtails flopping like bunny ears, in a way that was reminiscent of a hipper active twelve year old.

“No, this isn’t about Gibbs, and he’s fine, Abbs, or he will be.” Tony said while shaking his head. “This is actually about me and something that I’ve been keeping from you all for a long time now. Gibbs and Ducky recently found out, and I thought that it was time you guys know the truth as well.”

Abby frowned in concern when Tony paused. “Tony! What’s wrong? This really isn’t like you. You’re starting to scare me!”

“Yeah, Tony. Stop pouring it for dramatic effect.” Ziva demanded irritably.

“It’s ‘milking it,’ Ziva. And I agree, Tony. You’re starting to worry me.” McGee exclaimed with a slight tremor in his voice.

Tony couldn’t help the little smile that peaked out at the others. He enjoyed riling them up although he felt he probably wouldn’t like how this would end; he was still holding onto some hope, though. “Alright, alright.” He said hold his hands up in mock surrender. “I’m just going to come out and tell you the truth since I don’t really have any idea how to be gentle about this, soooo…” Tony took a moment to steal a breath before saying, “I’m a werewolf.”

There was a long pause before Abby ended it by stomping her foot and exclaiming, rather disapprovingly, “Tony! I can’t believed you called us up here to make fun! Plus, you just broke Abby’s rule one. Never lie to Abby!” She stomped over to him before he could say anything, and punched him rather forcibly in the arm.

“Ow, Abby!” Tony mocked rubbed his arm, for it hadn’t really hurt. “I’m not joking or lying to you, Abby.” Tony paused and looked her in the eye, so she would know he wasn’t kidding before adding, “I’m being completely serious.”

Abby stared at him for a moment before going wide eyed and bouncy once more, “Oh my God! Oh my God! You’re werewolf! That’s soooo cool, Tony! Oh, can you change into a wolf, pretty pleaseeeee?”

Tony laughed at her reaction and scoped her up in a big hug. He knew, out of all of them, that Abby was the most likely to be okay with it, but it was still a relief to see with his own eyes. “Thanks, Abbs.” He couldn’t resist whispering to her. She smiled her understanding at him when he released her from his hug.

Taking a moment, Tony eyed the others carefully. He could see the quiet disbelieving look on McGee’s face, which he would remedy when acquiesced to Abby’s request, but what surprised him the most was the look on Ziva’s face. There wasn’t any disbelief, rather she seemed to be trying to decided whether or not he was a threat while taking care not to look him in the eye. He puzzled that a moment before he remembered her Mossad background. Of course she would have come across his kind before although he doubted any of those encounters were of a friendly nature.
He caught her eye for a moment and said, “I think of all of you as my pack, Ziva. No harm to you or yours.”

Ziva’s eye’s widen for a moment before she nodded her head once in acceptance.

McGee had watched the interaction between Ziva and Tony as well as Ducky’s apparent calm acceptance of the whole situation. Was he missing something? Where they all just screwing with him? They were taking it too far if that was the case because there was no way Tony could be a werewolf. “Come on, guys? You don’t seriously believe him, do you? I mean this is just some big joke on me, right?” When no one said anything, McGee began to wonder if his coworkers and friends were truly sane.

“McGee, I know that this is hard to believe without any proof, so I’m going to transform for all of you.” Tony ignored Abby’s shout of glee. “If you guys have any questions, you can ask Ducky. He has most of the answers now. Is that okay, Ducky?”

“Of course, my dear boy although I am not quite as confident of my new found knowledge.” Ducky said with a small smile while he kept one eye on Timothy. He had a feeling he would be needing smelling salts for the poor boy before this was all over with.

Tony grinned at the doctor before jerking his head in Ziva’s direction. “I have a feeling Ziva can fill in any blank spots.”

Everyone turned to look at Ziva, but she just smiled calmly, giving nothing away. Abby opened her mouth to question her when Tony began to strip off his clothes, effectively distracting her.

“Ohhh…I didn’t know we would get a show too.” Abby said teasingly.

Tony smiled slyly at her. “You’re going to get a show, just not the one you expect.” His eyes grew serious as he stepped out of his pants. “The change can be gruesome. It’s not usually so bad for me, but I’ve already changed several times today, so it’s anyone’s guess as to how this one turns out.” Tony informed them, neglecting to mention the attack, which he knew would prompt a whole lot more questions from Abby than he thought they were ready for.

“Oh, and no matter what, do not touch me once I’ve begun to change. Wait until I let you.” Abby nodded although she was also frowning in concern and confusion.

Taking a breath, Tony began to change before another word could be said. It wasn’t as long as his last one, but it wasn’t as short as it usually was, either, and the pain from his still healing ribs nearly had him blacking out although he managed to conceal his pain from the others.

He was panting from the effort of the change when he looked up at the others. Abby was in awe even Ziva seemed a little wonder struck, but McGee was as white as a sheet and swaying where he stood.

Ducky rushed over to him and pushed him into his office chair, which he happened to be standing near. Pushing McGee’s head between his legs, Ducky instructed him to breath, something that he seemed to forgotten to do.

Shaking his head at McGee’s weak nature, he turned to see Abby approaching him hopefully. Even his wolf was amused when Ziva reached out an arm to stop her earning a patented glare from the Goth. Tony bowed his head and took a step forward to let both woman know it was okay to approach him.

Abby wrenched her arm away from Ziva before stepping close and holding a hopeful hand out to Tony. When he nudged the offered hand with his head, Abby buried both of hers into his fur. “Oh, wow, Tony! You’re so beautiful, and your really, really soft.” She said in awe filled voice, which quickly turned slightly more manic as she spoke. “You don’t look anything like those old horror films where the guy is basically just really hairy. You look like a real wolf although there some major differences cause your freaking huge, and it looks like your muscle and skeletal structure is unusual too. And your fur is glowing; I think your fur is freaking glowing! That’s so awesome! Oh, Tony, you got to let me run some tests. Not a whole lot of them, I promise I’ll keep it down to at least twenty, okay maybe twenty-five or…” Abby cut off when Tony began shaking his head fiercely. “Oh, come on, Tony. Pleaseeee?” When Tony continued to shake his head, Abby began to pout a little although she did not remove her hands from his fur.

Ziva, smiling from Abby’s antics, walked slowly up to Tony making sure he could see her approach. “Tony, may I?” When Tony bowed his head in answer, Ziva buried her hand in the fur that rested on his shoulder. Tony was so large she didn’t even have to bend over.

“How can this be possible? I mean this shouldn’t be possible, right?” Came McGee’s muffled, horse voice from where he sat by Ducky, who was keeping McGee from falling out of the chair with a sure hand on his shoulder.

“I’m afraid it’s quite possible, my dear boy.” Ducky tried to soothe.

“Yeah, McGee. I keep telling you that you need to keep an open mind. Why are you freaking out anyway?” Abby demanded.

“Why am I freaking out? Tony’s a FREAK’N wolf! The question should be why aren’t any of you freaking out?” McGee’s voice had gone high pitched and hectic.

“It’s still Tony.” Abby said indigently. “So he can change into a wolf, so what? He still your friend, McGee.”

Ducky patted McGee’s back comfortingly and said, “If it makes you feel any better, I lost my composure to some extent when I first found out as well, but Abigail is right Timothy. He still the Anthony we love and know, just a bit more complex than any of us realized.”

“‘A bit’, Ducky?” McGee questioned right over Abby’s demand for Ducky to not call her Abigail. “What about you Ziva? How come you seem to be fine with all of this?” McGee’s seemed to be gaining some self-control back as his voice was steadying.

“I have told all of you before. I am familiar with supernatural creatures. Mossad training leaves its students blind to very little, McGee. Tony is not the first werewolf I have jogged across although he is the first I’ve seen to behave in this manner.”

“It’s ‘run across,’ Ziva, and what do you mean?” Asked an exhausted McGee.

Ziva was more than hesitant with her answer, but after a quick glance at Tony, she replied cautiously, “Most of the werewolves that I have met were vicious, horrible creatures that needed to be put down.” She quickly continued when she heard Tony begin to growl softly. “Although I have come to know that not all werewolves are like that, and many can function quite well among humans so long as they have a pack. What I am really curious about is why I haven’t picked up on it sooner. Tony shows none of the characteristics I have learned to associate with werewolves.”

“Ah, I believe I can shed light on that conundrum if I may.” Ducky asserted. When Ziva nodded in curiosity, Ducky informed the others of the spell Tony had placed on himself as well as what the side effects of it failing were. He also went on to tell them about the werewolf protocol, which he had only recently learned. “Now, I do believe that’s everything that I know.” Ducky concluded.

Ziva looked thoughtfully at Tony while still avoiding his eyes, “Well, that does explain some things.” Looking up at Ducky, Ziva continued, “Thanks, Ducky.”

Abby; however, wore a deep frown on her face. “What about Toothpick?” Asked Abby rather suddenly if not franticly. “Tony just changed in front of the security cameras. Oh, my God. There going to take Tony away and do awful things to him, and it’s all my fault. I never should have asked you to change, Tony. I’m so sorry. I’ll make it up to you and poison Toothpick for you. Maybe if I hurry and get to the tapes I can erase everything before anyone sees them, but Ziva is going to have to help me kill Toothpick, and…”

“Abigail! My dear girl, take a breath before you asphyxiate, and you really should call the Director by his proper name.” Ducky admonished.

“Ducky! There’s no time for any of that. I have to get back to my lab and cook up a poison while erasing the tapes.” Abby replied at break neck speed, making it hard to translate what she was saying.

“You will do no such thing. None of that is necessary. Anthony has already informed me that Director Vance is well aware of his condition and is in no position to do anything about it.” Ducky assured them all. He could see that it was rapidly becoming a concern for Ziva and McGee too. It seemed that despite McGee initial reaction, he still cared a great deal about his friend and wanted to protect him.

“What heck does that mean?” They all simultaneously shot back at him, forcing Ducky to smile as they reminded him of siblings.

“It means he is safe although I do think it would be a good idea for you to remove this event from the tapes, Abigail. No need to risk it falling into the wrong hands.”

“On it, Duckman, and don’t call me Abigail, please Ducky.” Abby called as she left with black pig tails bopping.

Ducky looked at McGee, who had regained his color although he still seemed to be wrapping his head around everything, “Perhaps you should go with her, Timothy. Abigail does tend to get carried away, as it were.”

McGee nodded and stood to leave, “Right, Ducky. I’ll make sure she doesn’t try and poison Vance.” He turned to leave before pausing and looking back at Tony while avoiding his eyes with easy practice. “We’ll talk later?” When Tony nodded in affirmation, he nodded back before leaving to manage the chaos that was Abby.

“Ziva, do go after them and make sure Abby doesn’t kill McGee.” Ducky said with mild exasperation.

Ziva smiled knowingly, “Of course, Doctor.” And left without a backward glance.

Ducky turned his focus on Anthony, “And how are you my dear boy? I can’t imagine so many changes while being injured is good for you.”

Tony’s response was to change once more. After he was finished and had magicked his clothes back on, Tony reassured the now very concerned Doctor by saying, “I fine, Ducky. It actually takes quite a bit to kill me, and even more to get me down.” Tony smiled reassuringly at Ducky.

“If your certain. You probably know more than me in this matter anyhow, but do be careful, and try and take it easy for a little while.” Ducky said not entirely convinced, but willing to let it go.

“I’ll try, Ducky.” Tony smiled at his friend’s concern. It was nice to be worried about.

“Are you leaving to check on Gibbs?” Ducky asked, surprising Tony.

“Yeah. I thought I would. Told Vance to give us a few days off. It’s not like we don’t have the time.” Tony said with a shrug belying what he had done to get said time off.

Ducky smiled widely, very pleased. “That’s wonderful. The two of you need to relax, Anthony.”

“I know, Ducky, but I mean it’s us were talking about.” Tony grinned and wiggled an eyebrow.

“Quite right. Why, I haven’t met anyone quite as stubborn as you and Jethro since I was in Africa. I believe the year was…”

“Ducky!” Tony cut him off. “Perhaps another time.”

“Oh, yes, of course. You two enjoy each other, now.” Ducky said by way of farewell, making Tony stop in his tracks and stare at the doctor. “Come now, Anthony. I’m old not dead.” This caused Tony to laugh and wave farewell as he left autopsy to head home to Jethro.



SORRY ABOUT THE GAP BETWEEN POSTINGS. WHAT CAN I SAY? LIFE'S A BITCH.

NEXT CHAPTER WILL FOCUS MAINLY ON GIBBS AND TONY. GIBBS IS GOING TO MEET A PACK OF WOLVES! CHAOS ENSUES... ;)
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry about the break, guys. Life has not been kind, but never fear; I will finish this story.

P.S. Gibbs is in the chapter after this... Sorry, Gibbs lovers... ;)