- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Wolves sing, the moon shines, and the wind caresses, but alas, it is only a dream for the one trapped in the clutches of humanity.
Chapter One

“The Lamenting Of Lovers”

"We listened for a voice crying in the wilderness. And we heard the jubilation of wolves!” ~ Durwood L. Allen



His cry echoed over the valley laden with thick dark green woodland and through his heart as the moon shone brightly down on him. Its soft light carried by the wind, which brushed the moon through his silver fur like a lover’s caress. Their’s was not a love of passion, but of admiration. He lifted his head to call once more to his love, and her golden light turned his silver-blue eyes into sparkling ice as he sung to her while the wind swept up from behind him to carry his song to her, the lovers’ messenger.

His eyes shot open as he gasped a breath of air laced with the scent of the house and humanity as he was thrown into consciousness. The scent of the forest rained down around him from the dream mixing with realty in an almost painful way. He couldn’t help the impulse or the need to clench his eyes shut in the vain hope that he could bring the dream back, but no…there was only now; the crushing present drenched in the heavy stench of humanity. Too long had he lived surrounded by buildings. Too long had he lived too far from the reach of the forest. Too long had it been since the last time he had run free under the loving light of the full moon. The spell that held him to the world of humanity was weakening and failing painfully slow. He knew there would be consequences for his desperate attempt to stay near his mate; a mate that had no idea he was even loved, but since when did things one does for love ever make sense?

He opened green eyes, the color of his beloved forest, to gaze emptily at the bleach white ceiling of his apartment. Slowly, he sat up; the plain linen sheet falling down to reveal tan muscular arms and abs. Sighing, he ran a hand through his brownish-blond hair before reaching over to his side table to pick up the phone.

After gazing at the phone silently for several moments, he typed in a number with more than a little reluctance. Lifting the phone to his ear with the motion that would leave one wondering if the phone weighed several pounds, he waited for an answer while hoping there wouldn’t be one.

“Hello?...” A heavily accented Welsh voice floated over the phone. When the resigned man did nothing but sigh into the cell, the other man on the phone lost his patience and continued, “Drystan? Why are you calling at four in the mourning?” Someone who didn’t know the man might think it was a patient being the voice belong to, but he knew better.

“Bran…” He sighed, “Bran, I’m in a bit of a bind. I need your help, old friend.”

Drystan could almost see his friend’s frown when he heard him reply in a more serious tone, “What do you need? Are you alright?”

“I am for the moment, but I’m afraid that I’m going to be feeling the backlash of a particular spell very soon now, and I’m not sure I can control it…I don’t suppose you would be willing to come to D.C. for a little while.” He said with a wince.

“I do hope that you are jesting with me, but somehow I get the sense that’s wishful thinking.” Bran commented dryly.

“I don’t think that traveling is an option right now. I’m afraid that I don’t have the control to make it to you, and if I loose control, you’re the only one strong enough to kill me.” Drystan rubbed his eyes in exhaustion as he spoke.

“That bad, huh?”

“That bad…So will you help me?”

“Of course. Do you think you can hold out until I get there?”

“If nothing big happens, I should be fine. I call to let you know if that changes. You might want to put the local pack on alert incase I loose it before then.”

“I doubt that will be necessary, old friend. There is a reason why your name is legend, but…better safe than sorry. I’ll talk to you soon.” Bran hung up without waiting for a response.

“Thank you, my friend. I hope that you are right.” He said while looking at the disconnected phone sadly.

Pushing back the white sheets, he rose, revealing well toned legs and light blue boxers. Walking to the window, he found himself lost, deep in thought at the realization he may soon have to leave this life like he had left all the others. Leaning up against the window, his gaze once again returned to the phone in his hand right before it began to ring.

“DiNozzo.” He respond grudgingly after several rings.

“Agent DiNozzo, we have a new case for your team. It’s high priority. You need to get your team to the sight immediately. The address and details have been emailed to you.”

“It’s not my team. It’s Gibb’s team, and do you guys just call me so you can avoid having to wake him up and deal with the repercussions?”

“Sir. I don’t know what you mean. Sir.”

“Uh huh, sure.”

“Sir, If that is all?”

“Yeah, go ahead and get back to work.”

As he flipped the phone closed with a shake of his head, his eyes lit on the partially formed moon. It only took a moment for the wolf inside him to surge to the front with a growl of desire for freedom. With his hand pressed roughly to his face in a pointless effort to push the beginning of the transformation back into human shape, he struggled to gain control over his wolf, which roared, full of defiance, inside him.

Several minutes later he looked up once more, fully human, although he carefully avoided looking at the moon. Muttering curses he quickly got dressed and grabbed his gear before making the call to his boss.

“Hel…looo?” Questioned a gruff, slurred voice.

“Boss. Did I wake you up?”

“What do you think, DiNozzo?”

“Yeah…Sorry Boss, but we have a new a case. I sent the address and details to your phone.”

There was grunt from the other line before, “I’ll meet you there, DiNozzo. Wake up the rest of the team.”

“You got it, Boss.” He replied barely managing to keep the growl out of his voice. The moon’s soft light was surrounding him as he walked to his car causing the wolf to once again waken in response. It was going to be a long night.
Chapter End Notes:
Here it is folks!

The first chapter!! Enjoy!

Don't forget to review, please.