- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
An anguished cry cuts the air as blood colors the ground. How can time move on as if nothing occurred?
Chapter Two

“The Hunter, The Prey, and The Wolf”

"The caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf who keeps the caribou strong."
~ Keewation (Inuit) proverb

The crime scene was in a secluded area outside of Norfolk Navel Base. It was his first crime scene since coming back from Mexico after unsuccessfully trying to follow Reynosa’s brother. He had been forced to leave after Franks nearly died in a trap that was set for the both of them. He probably could’ve stayed and ended it then, but if he had, someone might have figured out the truth; they might have found out what he really was.

Shaking his head, he returned his focus to the gruesome crime scene. The victim was an older man who had been beaten then shot in the torso while wearing a silver star and no ID. No one had any idea as to who the victim was before they were sent out, but he could only be happy that he was the first one to arrive at the scene.

He knew the moment he looked at the victim that it was Gibbs’s father. Special care seemed to have been taken by the killer, so that the victim would be easily identifiable for the ones intended to find the body. It was a gruesome scene laden with blood and gore that he would not soon forget, and for a moment he couldn’t move; he couldn’t do anything but stare in open horror. Horror at what had happen to Gibbs’s father, and horror at the fact that his wolf was so out of control that he couldn’t help but become hungry at the sight of the meat lying before him, but then, of course it was right when he was thinking about food, he heard the rumble of an engine and the distinct sound of Gibbs’s car screeching to a halt.

He turned with a small prayer that his abnormal silver-blue eyes, proof that his wolf was in ascendance, would not be noticed in the overbearing darkness that this night seemed to hold, and rushed to intercept his boss.

“Boss…Boss…GIBBS!” He shouted to get his boss’s attention on to him and away from what he was about to see. Running up to Gibbs, he tired to quickly find the words to say, but were there words for this? Briefly, he thought about knocking him out as it would be easier for both of them, but Gibbs would never forgive him for trying to protect him in that way. “Boss, I want you to let me take this one.” He tried to sound calm, and hoped that somehow he would be able to soothe him when he began to break apart.

“What the hell are you talking about, DiNozzo. Incase you’ve forgotten, I’m the boss not you.” He raised his eyebrows at Tony even as he felt the dread of something terribly wrong deep in his gut. He could not deny the serious and determined look in Tony’s eye.

“I know you are the boss, Boss, but today you are going to let me lead this case while you go back home.” He made an effort to sound firm and put some of the wolf’s power into it, for all the good it did.

“What the hell are you talking about, Tony? What happened? Who is it? Get the hell out of my way.” As he became more agitated, he tried to push past DiNozzo, but found himself held in a firm not-to-be-denied grasp. Unfortunately, that did not stop him from seeing over Tony’s shoulder to who had been murdered.

A great cry of anguish rose up from Gibbs while he simultaneously slumped in Tony’s arms and reached for his father. He felt Tony close his arms around him tighter, and mummer soothing words into his ear. Then, without even realizing it, he found himself being picked up and held within those arms as they carried him to the trunk of his car where they released him to sit down.

Gibbs reached out and grabbed hold of Tony as though he could somehow anchor himself to the time before they received the call that brought them the horrific scene, “Tony…To…ny…That was…my…m…y…d…ad.” He gasped out as tears he wasn’t aware of rolled down his cheeks.

Unable to help himself, he warped Gibbs in another tight embrace while making sure that Gibbs’s face was concealed by his body, “Yeah, Jethro, that was your dad.” He rubbed his hands up and down Gibbs’s back as he sobbed into his chest. “Shhhhhhh…It’s going to be okay. You’re going to be okay.” He shook his head at McGee and Ziva, who had started to come over to them, and gestured towards the crime scene, telling them to get started. “I’m going to catch the bastard who did this, and they aren’t getting any jail time.” In fact, he was thinking that he might just let his wolf out to play for a little while. He already had the killer’s scent, and ripping her body to pieces was more than worth the punishment for breaking The Marrok’s rules.

He felt Gibbs push against him for release, which he compromised with by loosening his grip enough that Gibbs could lean back and look at him, “I’m okay now, Tony. You can let me go. We have a job to do.” He couldn’t know that tears were still running freely down his cheeks.

“No. I have a job to do. Ziva and McGee have a job to do, but you have to go back home and try to rest.” He eyed Gibbs waiting for the explosion his words would cause.

“Don’t you give me that crap. I am handling this investigation. I don’t give a damn what the rule book says. Do you hear me, DiNozzo?” His glare was a little less effective than usual do to the tears and sorrow that filled his eyes.

He stepped back, allowing his boss to slide off the trunk of the car, “I hear you, Boss.”

Gibbs looked up at him and gave a slight nod, “Good.” And began to walk by Tony.

Gibbs was already falling when he heard DiNozzo say, “I just don’t care.” And realized he had been struck at the base of his neck.

Gibbs collapsed, limp and unconscious, in his arms. Gibb’s weakened state caused the wolf inside him to roar in fury for what had been done to Gibbs and his loved one. Silver-blue eyed, he lifted Gibbs into his arms and carried him to the passenger’s side of the car. A sympathetic navel officer opened the car door for him.

He nodded his thanks to the officer, gently placed Gibbs in the car, and strapped him in before closing the door and heading over to his team. Walking up to the others, he turned his attention to McGee, “McGee, you’re in charge. I want you to double and triple check everything. Make sure you spread out and check the perimeter too, and tell Ducky when he gets here that I’m going to want the autopsy results as soon as possible. Do not screw this up. Understand? Can you handle this?”

“Yeah, Boss…I…I mean Tony. I got it; don’t worry about it, but…um…what are you going to do?”

“I’m taking Gibbs home.” He said with as little emotion as he could manage.

“Is he going to be alright?” Ziva asked concern threading through her voice as she gazed at the car where Gibbs lay.

“He’s strong. He’ll be okay. Just focus on catching the bastard who did this. I’ll call you later for an update.” Without another word, he turned away from his worried teammates and stalked back to the car. Getting in, he took a moment to breathe in the silence of the car and clamp down his raging wolf, which was steadily becoming more and more pissed off. He only realized his mistake the moment Gibbs's distinct scent flowed into him mixed with the bitter sweet scent of the man’s sorrow. The wolf reared in rage at the scent of the sorrow, causing him to spend even more time calming the beast down. Glancing at Gibbs to make sure the marine was still out cold, he found himself trying to resist the urge to stroke his tear stained cheek. Huffing a breath in frustration, he started the car and headed towards Gibbs’s home.
Chapter End Notes:
Warning: There is the death of a minor character in this chapter.

Hope you still enjoy the story.