- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony, Megan, Abby, and McGee go to dinner at Ziva’s where the two women get into a heated argument which ends with Megan storming out and Tony following after her.
“Ooh,” Maya sat up rearranged her pillows behind then lay back down spreading her arms out over her soft toys. “So you and Megan were invited to dinner at Ziva's. This ought to be interesting.”



“Yeah, that’s why I was hesitant to go. Remember how they were when they met in the bullpen? I really didn't want things to escalate when we went to dinner. If Ziva could kill someone 18 different ways with a paper clip I hate to think what damage she could do with a dinner knife.”




“Why do you wanna go anyway? When we could always stay in and have pizza in bed?” Tony asked Megan as she stood in his bathroom in a semi-formal dress putting on make-up before they left for the dinner he really didn't want to go to.



Megan put her make-up in her purse and looked over at him where he was lying on the bed. “Anything to get in bed. And I suppose the fact there's pizza in it with you is an added bonus? Come on Tony, I'd like to get to know the people you work with better.”



“You can get to know them any time.” He pointed out.



“Oh come on Tony, when do we have the time? With our jobs one of us is busy and when were not it’s the middle of the night, and there is always someone stopping me from sleeping.” She pointed out.



He sighed and got up to wrap his arms around her. “I know you're right but I just think right now is not the right time.”



“This is because of today isn't it? Did something happen? Is that why she invited you to dinner, did she, I don't know, attack you? Are you okay?”



He laughed and hugged her tighter. “No nothing like that, I promise.”



She pulled away from him. “Then what's the problem? Don't you want me to meet your co-workers?”



Tony groaned. He knew she had him there. “Fine, okay, okay, you win. We go to dinner but I want you to know I think this is a really bad idea.”



She laughed, kissed him softly, and turned to continue to get ready. “Okay honey. You should wear those new shoes I brought you; they go great with that dress shirt.”




He sighed and did as he was told.



* * *


They arrived at Ziva's a little later then they were supposed to because Tony tried everything in his power to change Megan's mind from going to dinner but with no luck.



They were led into Ziva's apartment to find Abby and McGee curled up on the couch with wine glasses in their hands watching TV. Tony slumped down next to McGee while Megan and Abby took the bottle of wine they had brought on the way into the kitchen to Ziva.



“Hey Probie. Nice to see you and Abby are finally getting it on.” Tony said once the women were all in the kitchen.


Tony tried to keep the smile from his face as the younger agent went bright red. “Umm...No...No...No...Abby and I...You see...We're just friends...She made me come here...Not that I didn't want to...I mean...Ziva's a really good cook and Abby wanted me to come so she could meet Megan-” McGee stuttered before Tony finally had the heart to stop him.


“Stop while you’re behind Probie, I may as well hand you the shovel now.”


“What would McGee need a shovel for?” Ziva asked as the women joined them.


McGee went redder as Tony laughed.


Tony felt sorry for him so he quickly changed the subject. “So Zee-Vah what's for dinner?”


“Roast Veal with Aromatic Herbs and Potatoes.”



Tony felt his jaw drop. “Really?”


Ziva looked at him curiously. “Why is that so surprising?”


“It's the meal my grandmother used to make me and Alex on our birthdays.” Tony explained.


Megan gasped. “You never told me that.”


Tony gulped. “You never asked.”


“You never talk about your family.” Megan shot back.


“You never ask.” Tony repeated.


“I do ask!”


“I'm sure I've told you about Alex!”


Megan rolled her eyes. “Oh come on, coincidence. God she was right, I should've listened, Sash-”


Tony felt his hands curl up into fists. “Don't bring her into this.”


“But Tony isn’t it obvious! She gave her everything to you, but you barely speak! You don't want to talk about work, you don't want to talk about your family, you don't want to talk about your emotions, but you just expected her to accept that. No wonder she lef-”


“Sorry to interrupt but I thought you should know that dinner is ready.” Ziva said as she poked her head through the kitchen door.


Tony let out a sigh of relief and gave his partner a thankful look before turning to face his girlfriend. “Why don't we have dinner now, I promise we will talk later and I'll tell you all about the horrors of my sailor suit wearing childhood.”


Megan nodded. “Okay, but don't think you're getting off that easily.”

* * *


Ziva’s dining room was as small as the rest of the apartment, with a small round oak table and matching chairs in the middle of the room.

Tony and Megan took their seats and Abby and McGee took the seats on the opposite side of the table. Tony suddenly felt uncomfortable as he looked at the one empty seat on the right side of him.

Ziva walked out of the kitchen holding a large platter. She set the platter down on the table and delicious smells filled the room. Tony felt his mouth start to water as he gazed hungrily at the slab of meat surrounded by potatoes coated in rosemary.

“B'Teavon” She said, “Bon appetite!” She added when everyone in the room looked at her confused.

Tony laughed and raised his glass. “B'Teavon”

“B'Teavon” The others repeated before everyone started reaching for the food.

“It tastes delicious Ziva.” Megan commented as she took a bite of her potatoes.

“Its amazing Ziva, just like my Gran made it” Tony added.

“Thank you.”

“You'll have to tell me where you found the recipe.” Megan said.

“I made it as I went along, following the general recipe but I altered it to my own preferences.” Ziva replied.

“Whatever you did or added it turned out great Ziva.” Abby said as she stole a bite off McGee's plate.

“Thank you Abby.” Ziva replied.

“You’ll have to cook us some of your countries foods.” Megan said.

Ziva took a bite of her meal before replying. “Sometimes. I do not eat much traditional Israeli food; I like to experience other cultures.

“Well you do great Italian” Tony said.

“Thank you Tony.”


“I'll cook you my secret recipe lasagne one day.” Megan promised him as she reached over and kissed his cheek.


“Yum lasagne,” Tony said as he drooled at the thought of it.


“Uh, Tony,” McGee said nervously as he pointed to the corner of his mouth “You have a little drool just there.”


“I'll get it.” Both Ziva and Megan said as they both grabbed napkins and reached towards Tony. Megan got there first and wiped it away with her napkin making Ziva scowl.




“Wow sounds like Ziva and Megan were jealous of each other; I wonder why that would be?” Maya asked slyly with a knowing look on her face.


“Yeah I often wondered that.” Tony replied, “It didn't really matter why they were but things definitely went from bad to worse after that very awkward dinner.”




After dinner Abby offered to make her ‘famous’ chocolate fudge desert and had dragged poor McGee into the kitchen to “help” her make it. Tony wasn't sure who he felt more sorry for, McGee for being dragged into helping the Goth or himself because he knew he would be the first to get to taste the desert.

“How long do you think it will be before we hear McGee start screaming?” Tony joked.

Megan laughed. “Her cooking can't be that bad can it?”

“Hmm well a kitchen is always an excellent place to torture someone and while I can say I have not used this kitchen for it yet it is equipped with secret 'tools' like the rest of the house, I do not think Abby's cooking will be that bad.” Ziva said and Tony couldn't quite tell if she was joking or not.

“Do you think it’s safe to use the bathroom?” Megan joked.

“I could always come and protect you if you wanted me to?” Tony suggested.

Megan laughed and kissed him before making her way down the hall leaving Tony alone with Ziva.

Once they were alone Ziva moved over to the couch Tony was sitting on.

“Thanks again for dinner.” Tony said again as he rubbed his stomach, “how did you know that was my favourite meal?”

She gave him a sly smile. “I have my sources.”

Tony rolled his eyes. “Let me guess, McGee?”

“He did not tell me what I did not already guess.”

“And what else have you guessed?”


“What makes you think I will tell you?”

“Because we're partners.” Tony explained.

“I have had many other partners before you.”

“But not like me.”

She laughed. “That is, how do you say, an understatement.”

He sighed. “You had to get that one right.” He leaned his arm on the couch behind her. “You are learning yet.”

“Yes and I am learning much from observing you and Megan,” She leant over and whispered in his ear, “Tell me does she mind your little hairy butt?”

He turned to face her so his face was inches from her and looked her hard in the eyes. “I don't think that's any of your business Zee-vah.”

“I am your partner am I not?”

Tony nodded. “Yes but what does that have to do with you knowing about my sex life?”

“Well if you want me to share my sources with you I require something in return.”

“How about me not telling anyone about how you threw yourself on me today?”

“That is a lie. I only dived on top of you to protect you. It was a reflex!”

He raised his eyebrows. “A reflex?” He whispered, trying and succeeding to get on her nerves.

“Yes! A reflex! I heard the Gunshot and I saw it heading towards...” She trailed off.

Tony raised his eyebrows. “Zee...” She looked away and started to get off the couch but he grabbed her wrist and gently pulled her chin up so she was looking him in the eye, “Thanks.”

“Tony?” A familiar voice behind them asked, “What's going on?”