- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ziva refuses to talk to Tony the next day while they investigate the case of a Commander in charge of a shipment of fuel rods for nuclear power stations disappears. The team must solve the case in time, before the person who kidnapped the Commander finds out the secret location of the fuel rods or harms the Lt. Commander.
At the sound of the voice they broke apart and Ziva hastily shuffled over, they turned around to see Megan looking at them with her mouth open.

Tony stared blankly at his girlfriend for a moment before he was able to speak,

“What? Oh. Ziva saved my life today, I was just saying thank you,” He explained. “Sasha got me started on that...”

Megan folded her arms and raised her eyebrows. “Of course she saved your life, you must have forgotten that small detail?”

“She tackled me stopping a bullet from making its way through my skull, just like I tackled Sasha and stopped a bullet going through her skull.” Tony explained.

Just like Sasha? Megan thought; I knew it! Megan glanced at Ziva, eyebrows still raised. “Really?”

Ziva shrugged. “It was nothing, really.”

“Saving his life was nothing?” Megan asked curiously.

“I would have done it for anyone.” Ziva stated.

“I'm sure you would have.”

Ziva nodded.

Megan laughed. “Sure, and I was raised by unicorns!” She snapped sarcastically, “admit it, you're attracted to him!”

Tony almost laughed. “Not she's not.”

Ziva stood up and slowly walked over to where Megan stood. “No I am not.”

Megan stood up taller and Tony heard her gulp. “I disagree.”

Tony had heard enough, he knew if he didn't step in soon someone (most likely Megan) would get hurt. “Megan stop! You're being ridiculous.”

Megan rolled her eyes. “No Tony, open your eyes. It's obvious she likes you!” With that she pushed her way past Ziva and Tony grabbed her coat and handbag and headed out the door, making sure she slammed it behind her.

Tony sighed. “Thanks for dinner Zee.” He said to his partner before he grabbed his own coat and rushed to catch up and try and make things up with Megan.



Maya suddenly sat bolt upright. “Oh my god, Megan was totally well...she didn't need to accuse Ziva like that even if she was right. I can't believe you followed Megan, poor Ziva.”


“I had to follow Megan she was my girlfriend and I had to check that she was okay.”



“But Ziva was your partner!” Maya shook her head, “Did you find Megan?”


Tony nodded. “Yup and after a lot of begging on my part I was able to save our relationship but she no longer liked Ziva or the idea of me working with Ziva which made it harder for me to talk with her about work.”


“If she ever liked Ziva.”



“Hmm...Anyway I didn't think I'd have to worry about Ziva until Monday but as per usual a call early on Sunday morning changed that...



* * *

Tony snuggled close to Megan and wrapped his arms around her slender body; he was glad they sorted things out and that he was once more able to wake up with her in his arms.

A faint buzzing interrupted his thoughts, he looked over and reached for his cell phone and without even bothering to look at the caller ID he pressed the ignore button. He turned back over and closed his eyes. He heard his phone buzz at least three more times but he didn't even bother looking to see who was calling him at 10am on a Sunday morning.

Just as he was drifting back off to sleep the phone on Megan's bedside table rang. Tony groaned as she sat up to answer it.

“Hello, sure, hang on a sec.” He heard Megan say before she rolled over and nudged him. “It’s for you.”

He looked at her confused for a moment before he sighed and she handed him the phone.

“Hello?” He said as he sat up and rolled his eyes.

“Tony?” Came McGee’s nervous reply.

“Probie, how did you get this number?”

“Abby figured you’d be at Megan’s so she searched the database for her JAG record.”

Tony sighed. He should have known this would happen. “Get to the point Mc Wakeup Call why are you ringing me?”

“Well…umm…Gibbs asked me to find you…he was pretty pissed when you hung up on him…we have a case.” McGee explained. “He wants you and Ziva to check out the victim’s house.”

* * *
Tony arrived at the victim’s house to find Ziva leaning casually against the car, waiting for him. He groaned and walked slowly over to her.

“What’ve we got?” He asked her.

“A Commander in charge of a shipment of fuel rods for nuclear power stations disappeared. Gibbs sent us here to investigate.” She explained turning and walking towards the house. “It looks like no one is home.” She explained as she reached the house and glanced through the window. “Do you have a plan?”

He sighed. She may have been talking to him but from her tone he could tell she was hesitant and was only telling him what he needed to know. “We start looking for the key.”

“Why would there be a key?” She asked her voice sceptical.

“Because they always hide one.  It’s stupid, I know, but it’s what they do.”

She raised her eyebrows. “And you’re certain there’s no alarm?”

Tony nodded as he started searching for the hidden ‘key’. “No sign, no alarm.  But there’s always a key.  You may want to write that down.”    

The door suddenly opened and Ziva who had been fiddling with it shrugged and moved aside. “After you.”

They pulled guns out as they entered the house and began searching the rooms, once they checked it was clear Tony looked around the room he was in and noticed how clean it was with everything neatly put away and not a crumb or piece of dirt to be seen. “Very O.C.D.” He said.

Ziva nodded and continued looking around. “What are we looking for exactly?”

“Anything that’s out of place.” Tony explained.
    
”You are going to have to be a little bit more specific.”

“We’re looking for a reason why someone would kidnap our Naval Officer.  Preferably before Gibbs asks us for it.” Tony explained as he walked over to the computer.  “Houdini?” He asked Ziva as he realised the computer was password protected.

“Hmm?”


“How are you at picking computer locks?”

“Not very good.” Ziva replied without even bothering to turn around, “why, did you find something interesting, Tony? Tony, did you find something interesting?  Tony!” She exclaimed when she saw him staring at the door, she followed his gaze and she saw what he was staring at. In the doorway was a security guard with a gun pointed at them.

“Hands over your heads!” He snapped at them. “Now!  You too, lady!  Make any sudden moves, I shoot.  Do we understand each other?’

“Okay, relax, Quickdraw.  We’re Feds.” Tony explained.

“Yeah?”  The security guard grunted. “What agency?”

“NCIS.” They both replied in unison.

“Never heard of it.” The security guard replied as he became more agitated.

“Naval Criminal Investigative Service.” Ziva explained.

“Never heard of it!” He repeated again.

“You never actually get used to it.  You think you will but you never do.” Tony told him, “Okay, I have a badge.”

“Sit down!” He ordered Tony before turning to Ziva. “Cuff yourself to him.”

“I would rather you shoot me first.” Ziva said and Tony knew by her tone she was pissed with him.

“Cuff yourself, dirtbag!” He ordered her.

“Ow!” Tony complained as she roughly cuffed herself to him.

“Now, you cuff yourself to the chair.” He ordered.

“You’re making a big mistake.” Tony warned him.

“Yeah, like you did setting off the alarm?” He replied.

“Ha! I told you there was an alarm.” Ziva said.

“There’s supposed to be a sign outside.  There’s supposed to be a sign outside!” Tony snapped defending himself.

“Kids probably stole it.  Don’t move!” He warned them before he reached for his radio which Tony noticed wasn’t even turned on.  “Central, I’ve got two suspects claiming to be Feds.”

“No little red light on the radio means the radio not working.” Tony told him before turning to Ziva “Hey, will you please calm down?  This guy is a little jumpy and nervous, so just relax.  No sudden moves, all right?”

“Mm-hmm...” She replied as she slipped her wrist out of the handcuffs and jumped the security guard. 

“Oh, don’t shoot!  Don’t shoot!” He begged her.

“Nobody’s going to shoot anyone.” Tony reassured him. “Right, Officer David?”

“He called me a dirtbag.” Ziva reminded him.

“I’m sorry, Ma'am.”

That just made Ziva angrier. “Ma'am!”




Maya laughed. “Yeah how could anyone be so stupid as to call Ziva Ma'am? No wonder she jumped him.”


“Yeah Ziva was a lot of things but Ma'am is definitely not how I would describe her. I'm just glad she didn't kill the guy and we were able to return to the office with Wilkerson's computer...





* * *

“I thought you said she was organized!” Abby complained once they had taken Wilkerson's computer down to the lab.


“Her house looked like Martha Stewart’s jail cell. Only neater.” Tony replied.


“Her hard drive is a mess.  There are sub-folders with sub-folders, thousands of files, everything’s password protected.  She didn’t know the concept of delete. Oh and by the way where were you this morning?” The Goth asked and McGee looked at him curiously.

Tony raised his eyebrows. “Well since you gave McAlarmClock Megan’s number, I don’t think you really need me to answer that.”

The Goth winced. “I’m sorry I had to do that. You hung on Gibbs, then you ignored his calls so when he ordered McGee to find you I helped…find you.”

“It was my idea Tony, don’t be angry with her.” McGee added.

“Oh I know it’s not her fault.” Tony replied glaring at the junior agent.

“What exactly happened last night?” Abby asked. “One minute everyone having a happy family dinner and then Megan and Ziva start arguing and you guys storm out and now you and Ziva are barely speaking. What changed? Did you come onto her?”

“No!” Tony exclaimed. “It’s just...”

Abby raised her eyebrows. “Just what?”

“It’s just none of your business, Abs.” Tony cleared his throat. “Can we get on with our work before Gibbs comes storming in demanding info?”

“I can’t believe you told, Aunt Abby, that it wasn’t her business!”
“Neither can I.” grinned Tony


Later that day, Tony was yet again in Abby’s lab.
“So have you sorted stuff out with Ziva yet?” Abby asked him as they analysed the recording of when the commander rung NCIS for help.

“Nope, haven’t had time.” Tony shook his head before changing the subject. “Play it again.”

Abby rolled her eyes and played the tape again. They both listened intently before they realised what they heard in the background.

“A train track?” They both asked in unison.

The Goth nodded. “Yes, railroad tracks would be the obvious choice, but there isn’t a second thunk or a thack.  Not even a thock on that track.”

“Have you been reading a lot of Doctor Seuss books?”

“You know I love listening to Theodore Geisel.”

They listened to the tape again, before Tony got Abby to play around with the frequencies, and proving that the thunk was indeed, a train track.
“Don’t forget to talk to Ziva!” Tony heard Abby yell after him as he left the lab, glad to have some good news for Gibbs.

* * *

“Assuming Abby is correct, the vehicle harbouring Lieutenant Commander Wilkerson left the mall via Ox Road.  The car travelled southbound passing three gas stations, a Wall-Mart, and this Lexus dealership.  Two point six miles later they passed by this bank just before crossing the Dungy Street railroad tracks.” Ziva thought aloud once Tony had reported his finding to the others. “Ox Road eventually comes to an end at the luxury living community of Terra Trace Estates.  The Fairfax police are now focusing their search on this central area.  They estimate between eight to nine hours for a thorough search.”

“Lieutenant Commander Wilkerson doesn’t have that long.” Gibbs pointed out.

“Which is why I tracked down the only available surveillance video on or near Ox Road?  Hit the little right button.  This is the internal security camera at the Northern Virginia Savings and Trust ATM.  It sits about three hundred yards north of the train tracks at Ox Road.  Now we know the car passed over the tracks at zero nine zero four.  The speed limit is thirty five miles per hour.  So we’ve got to assume our abductor didn’t want to attract attention by speeding, right?  Our car should be passing this camera around…. hold on a second.  Carry the seven.  Divide by six…” Tony reported.

Ziva pointed to the map. “Right… here. “

“I was working that out.” Tony snapped at her.
 
“We don’t have time to wait while you get your brain into gear.” Ziva snapped back.

“At least I’m smart enough to know not to fire a bullet inside a metal box!”

“You are the one who got us trapped inside the box.”

Just as Tony was going to reply Gibbs reached over and smacked both of them.

 “I saw that.  Why did you give her the soft touch?” Tony complained rubbing his head.    

Gibbs ignored him and turned to Ziva. “Is that the best shot you can get, Ziva?”

“There are a few frames just after she blocks our view.” She replied.

Tony pointed to a car a car passing the railroad tracks. “That’s a nineteen eighty nine Mercedes Five Sixty S-E-L, Boss.”

“I cannot see the plate.” Ziva complained.

“Well, use your little clicker and zoom in.” Tony snapped. “That first number is either an eight or a six.”

“It’s an eight.” Gibbs said.

“With all due respect, Sir, your eye sight isn’t exactly your strong suit.” Tony pointed out.

Gibbs grabbed a scrap of paper and began writing it down. “Eight six three Romeo Charlie Tango.” 

“Nine cars reported stolen from Northern Virginia this morning and one is a Benz five sixty S-E-L.” Tony reported.

“William Lafferty, Fairfax, Virginia.” Ziva added.

Gibbs grabbed his gear and headed for the elevator. “Move it!”




“So even Uncle Gibbs noticed the tension between you and Ziva.” Maya noted. “What did he do about it other than slap you?”

“Nothing, we were too busy with the case. Ziva and I bickered so much about who was driving that Gibbs drove to William Lafferty’s place and it turns out his car was stolen the previous night.”

“So you were back to where you started?”

“It seemed that way until McGee called Gibbs to tell him the victim’s cell phone was just used and gave us the location we rush there to find a couple of teenage boys were using it. We took them back to headquarters to interrogate them and I gave McGee a lesson in how to get teenagers to talk.

“Can’t you just tell me what happened with Ziva?”

“Well even though it was a team effort we were still bickering all the way back to headquarters in front of the bad guy which didn’t impress Gibbs that much so he took the bad guy to interrogation then asked both Ziva and I to meet him in the conference room…



“Boss, would you just tell me what’s going on?” Tony asked Gibbs as he led him towards the meeting room.

Gibbs ignored him and opened the door for him; Tony frowned as he saw Ziva slumped on one of the chairs looking as confused as he was.

“Sit down DiNozzo.” Gibbs ordered him.

Tony chose a chair directly across from Ziva. “Now can you please tell us what’s going on?”

Gibbs nodded. “There’s something going on between you two. I don’t care what it is I just want you to sort it so we can get back to work.” He explained before casually walking out the door, locking it behind him.

They both sat there glaring at each other for a while before Tony finally spoke, “So it doesn’t look like we’re getting out of here anytime soon.”

Ziva nodded.

Tony sighed. “Look Zee, I’m sorry for what Megan said last night. It was rude and completely out of line.”

“Then why did you follow her?”

Tony shrugged. “Because no matter how stupid or insane she acts, she is still my girlfriend.”

“And I am only your partner.” Ziva realised.

“Yeah…but that doesn’t mean you mean any less to me. I talked to Megan and we sorted stuff and while we aren’t going to be coming over for dinner anytime soon I still want to be able to hang out with you.”

She nodded again.

“So whatcha say?” Tony said standing up and holding out his hand to her. “Partners?”

“Partners.” Ziva agreed.