- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Takes place 14 years ago when Tony was madly in love with his co-worker Sasha but things take a turn for the worse when Tony opens a mysterious letter thinking it's for him, a small puff of white powder comes out, releasing a possible deadly virus. Sasha has a cold so as a precaution; she and Tony are isolated in a bio-hazard isolation room. While McGee and Gibbs are determined to discover who sent the envelope and how to cure their friends before it’s too late for them, Tony's health gets worse.
Definitely Maybe
Chapter 2
Disclaimer: Still don’t own NCIS or Definitely Maybe apart from on DVD.
Thanks again to Ziny-DiNozzo, you’re the best and thanks to all the people who read and enjoyed this.

Read Ziny-DiNozzo’s ‘A Kiss and a Promise’ it’s a really great story.

So anyway please enjoy chapter 2:


“Once upon a time,” He began.

Fourteen years ago to be exact there was a young handsome man called Tony DiNozzo. Now this young man was deeply, deeply in love with one of his work colleges. Let’s call her…

“Sasha!” Said Maya excitedly,

Sasha. The only problem was that their boss had rules about relationships in the office, so they had to keep their relationship a secret and act as though there was nothing between them when at work, so not to arouse suspicions.

But every day they began the day by meeting each other in the elevator, even if they had slept over at each other’s house.


Tony stepped into the elevator and as soon as the doors closed she grabbed him by the collar and pulled me into a deep and passionate kiss.

“You’re gonna get us caught if you keep greeting me like that.” Tony said to her.

She grinned. “I just couldn’t resist your charm and maybe I missed you last night.”

He pushed the emergency stop button and pulled her into another deep kiss before answering. “I know and I missed you too but I was packing.”

Sasha sighed as he held her close. “I wish you didn’t have to go.”

“Same here, I’ll only be a couple of weeks and then I’ll be back and all yours. It’s my sister’s graduation and she’ll kill me if I don’t go.” He replied gently kissing her forehead.

“Well we can’t have that, can we? Oh that reminds me. Since you’re going to San Francisco could you give an old friend something for me?” She said pulling away and taking a small package out of her bag and handed it to him. “Megan Ryan, she’s the only girl I know in San Francisco. I want you to meet her.”

“Megan Ryan?” He read off the package

“Yes, yes.”

“That’s her name?” He just always thought Ryan was a guy’s name and it was a strange last name.

“Yes she was my friend at collage, and all the guys wanted to sleep with her and you probably will, too.”

“Maybe you should mail it to her. That might be a better idea.” He suggested nervously.

Sasha shook her head. “No.”

“What is it?” He asked looking curiously at the strange package.

“Something I should have sent her a long time ago.” She said as she smiled. “I love you Tony DiNozzo.” She said tucking his hair behind his ear before pressing the emergency stop again and walking out of the elevator doors as they opened.


“Sasha sounds like she’d be a good mom.” Maya said interrupting him. “I just don’t know if she’s my mom.”

“Why not?” Tony asked her.

“Everyone knows that the girlfriend at the start of the story always gets dumped. Which means maybe Megan Ryan is my mom.”

“You’ll only find out if you let me continue.”

“Fine, sorry, carry on.”


Tony waited until she was about a metre away before catching up with her. He also noticed she had a sore red nose.

“Hey Sasha.” He greeted her like they had never met in the elevator so they didn’t raise suspicions. He then noticed she didn’t look that well, she had bags under her eyes even though he knew she was getting enough sleep and her nose was so red it made Rudolf’s nose look pale. “Are you feeling okay?”

She spun around and he noticed she blushed. “I’m fine Tony it’s just a cold. Why are you so concerned anyway?”

He froze realising that while they were at work he wasn’t supposed to care for her, he wasn’t supposed to be concerned that she didn’t look well, he wasn’t supposed to want to take her home and care for her during the day, making sure she got the rest and care she needed.

But he did. She was the first woman in a very long time that he felt those feelings for and he just couldn’t help himself. But he took a deep breath and covered those feelings up. “Well I don’t wanna get sick do I?”

She sighed, walked over to her desk and. “Typical! You always only worry about yourself!”

“I do not!” He argued. “I tell you what, I’ll prove it.”

She raised her eyebrow. “How exactly?”

“I know of a cure.”

Sasha rolled her eyes. “I’m listening.”

“Sake-bombing.”

“Sake-bombing?”

“Oh C’mon Sasha, don’t tell me you’ve never heard of sake-bombing?” He asked.

“Do I look like I’ve heard of it?”

“You take a cup of hot sake.  You drop it in a beer.  You toss it back and �" and KA-BOOM!” He explained making an exploding noise.

“Sake-bombing?” She repeated raising her eyebrows.

He nodded. “Great for a cold.”

“I’ll stick to honey and hot tea thanks.” She replied.

Tony shrugged. “It’s your choice. We all know McGee would do it.”

McGee who had been sitting quietly at his desk until now looked up. “Do what?”

“Sake-bombing.”

“What?”

Tony quickly explained to him what sake-bombing was. When he was finished McGee shock his head. “Nope I’ve never done that either.”

“I work with a pair of wankers.” Tony exclaimed.

“And you make three DiNozzo.” His Boss Gibbs commented as walked past the group with his morning coffee hand.


“Hold it! Stop, stop right there! You swore in front of a girl?” Maya exclaimed, horrified.

“No... Yeah. But... I didn't mean to tell you that. Listen, I was young and I was stupid, and I haven't sworn in years, I promise you.” Tony reassured her.

Maya folded her arms and raised her eyebrows. “Is there anything else you should tell me?”

Tony sighed. “Probably... not. Anyway…”


All three agents quickly acknowledged Gibbs’ presence and as Tony and Sasha got settled at their desk McGee sorted through the mail. He stopped when he reached a letter that was sealed with a kiss.

“Umm…this one’s just addressed to ‘NCIS Special Agent’.” He said inspecting it carefully.

Tony quickly walked over a snatched it off the younger agent. “It’s mine McGee.”


“Wait! If you with Sasha who was the letter from?” Maya asked suspiciously.

“I thought it was from her because I’d annoyed her recently by sending her flowers to work and I thought it was her getting me back.” Tony explained.

“Oh…”


“Huh, how do you know?” McGee asked suspiciously.

“I recognise the lips,” Tony replied snatching the envelope out of McGee’s hand. “And the scent.” He sang as he took the envelope over to his desk sneaking a wink at Sasha.

“Gummy bears?” Sasha asked sarcastically trying to hide her smile.

He ignored her, ripped it open and blew. A fine white powder blew out hovering in the air, Tony froze his eyes wide.


“Oh no! What was it? Were you okay? Who sent it?” Maya interrupted sitting up suddenly and Tony noticed her face had paled.

Tony climbed onto the bed and hugged his daughter close. “Relax Maya, I promise I was fine. I am fine. I’ll explain soon, do you want me to continue the story or have you had enough for tonight?”

She snuggled close to him and nodded.


Gibbs noticed his actions and immediately stood up on his desk and let all the other agents in the office know that an envelope with an unknown white powder was just opened and to follow emergency procedures. Everyone apart from Gibbs, Sasha, McGee and Tony ran for the exits at once.

Sasha threw Tony a water bottle to wash as much of the powder off him as he could before she grabbed the phone on her desk and pressed the emergency button. “Letter opened in Special Agent Gibbs’s office dispersed a fine white powder.  Initiating bio-attack procedures; third floor is evacuating.” Tony could hear the panic in her voice.

Gibbs turned to McGee who was still standing at his desk with his mouth open in shock. “McGee, are you up on procedures?”

The youngest agent regained himself and turned to face his boss. “Yeah, we shower, burn our clothes, get our blood tested.  Nobody leaves the building until the substance is identified except… ”

“Lucky me.” Tony finished as he continued to pour water over himself. “I get a free trip to Bethesda-

“Bethesda?” Asked Maya,

“Naval hospital.” Explained Tony.


“…to be pricked like a pin cushion.”

“They’ve shut down the air.” Sasha noticed as the sound of the air conditioning was heard. “Let’s hit the showers Tony.” She ordered him.

“Thought you’d never ask.” A slightly damp Tony said as he followed her and McGee out to the showers telling Gibbs he was sorry as he walked past him.

* * *

After they had all showered they were sent down to autopsy where Ducky took their blood. None of them liked it but Gibbs was the grumpiest.

“You should have given the letter to me, McGee.” Gibbs scolded the young agent.

“I know Boss.” McGee replied.

“It’s not McGee’s fault,” Sasha said sticking up for him, “Tony snatched it out of his hand.”

“So now it’s my bad?” Tony asked.

“You did grab it, Tony.” McGee pointed out.

“Lame excuse Probie, you should’ve stopped me.” Tony argued.

Suddenly Gibbs got off the autopsy bench where he’d been sitting, grabbed some gear from another work bench and headed towards the door. "Where do you think you're going?" Doctor Mallard asked him stepping in front of the door.

"Find out who sent the letter." Gibbs replied simply.

"You cannot leave autopsy! It's negative-pressured so airborne pathogens can't contaminate the building."

"I've been scrubbed, sanitized for all I know, sterilized. I have an investigation to open." Gibbs told him angrily.

"I have a possible contagion to contain.” Ducky told him calmly. “Until your blood test clears you, I cannot permit you to leave this room.”

Suddenly a group of paramedics in bright orange suits wearing what looked like pest control masks entered the room. “Who opened the envelope?” One of them asked.

Tony pointed at McGee who backed away as the paramedics headed towards him.

“Just kidding.” Tony joked as he got off the bench. “I’m your pin cushion.”

“Did you inhale any powder?” The man in the mask asked him.

Tony nodded, “I might’ve.”

“We took blood,” Doctor Mallard told them. “Jimmy?” He called to his assistant.

“Yeah.  Four blood vials on ice to go.” Jimmy reported.

Suddenly Sasha sneezed making everyone in the room turn to face her. “It’s a cold.  I had it before I came in this morning.” she said simply.

“Which makes you even more susceptible to airborne pathogens.  You should go in the hospital too.” Doctor Mallard told her.

“Oh no!” Sasha started to argue.

"Sasha, play it safe. Go with Tony." Gibbs ordered her.

Even though she rolled her eyes Tony could see the longing in them. "That's safe?!!!"

He indicated his head towards the door as a silent order. She glanced sideways at Tony who just raised his eyebrows. She sighed as she jumped off the bench, “How long are we going to have to stay in isolation?” She asked the paramedic.

“At least overnight.” The paramedic replied.

“Can we have double beds?” Tony asked, “Because I hate it when you get that crease when you push the two-” He was cut off by Gibbs head slapping him. “If I get Anthrax how would you feel?” Tony asked him turning to face him.

“Not as bad as you DiNozzo.” Gibbs replied.

“Let’s go.” The paramedic told them.

“God I feel like crap.” Sasha exclaimed as they were led out of autopsy and through the building.

“Maybe a foot massage would help?” Tony suggested moving closer to her. Since Gibbs wasn’t around they had no need to hide their relationship.

She turned around to face him, her mouth open in shock. “Tony I…I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Why? Gibbs isn’t around.”

“No Tony not now.”

He stopped and pulled her close, kissing her gently on the forehead. “Okay.”

* * *

Once at Bethesda they met Dr Brad Pitt (no relation to the actor) and Nurse Emma before they were taken to a small chamber with eight hospital beds in it. Tony wanted to push two beds together and be close together but the doctor wouldn’t allow it so he stared longingly from across the room.

“What is it Tony?” Sasha asked when she noticed he was staring at her.

He swallowed and quickly averted his eyes to stare at the ceiling. “Think they really zap bugs?”

“What?” Sasha asked.

“These blue lights.”

“Are you serious?” She asked rolling over to face him.

“Ever heard of a placebo, Sasha?”

“Tony, placebos are administered for a psychological effect.” She told him.

“Precisely.  How do you know these lamps aren’t there to make us think they’re helping?  Hmm?” He asked.

“Maybe because they’re there to kill whatever bugs we breathe into the air.” She replied rolling her eyes.

“You may have a point.”

“You’re afraid, aren’t you?” She asked him trying to mask the concern in her voice.

“Sasha, come on. Me? Afraid?  Have you ever seen me afraid?”

“Well, not when the danger is something that we can confront.  But all we can do here is lie around and hope that we’re not infected.”

“Now who’s afraid?”

“Anyone with half a brain...  I take that back.” She said sarcastically.


“I think Sasha’s right, I think you were afraid.” Maya said as she hugged him.

“Yeah I was but not for me, for her.” Tony replied hugging her back.

“I hope she’s okay.”

* * *

Tony lay there stunned at what Doctor Pitt had just told him. He had the plague, pneumonic plague. The plague that had wiped out almost half of Europe during the fourteenth century. And the worst bit was that because he’d spent so much time around her, Sasha may have been exposed. He felt terrible; he could live with the fact that he was sick and possibly going to die but the fact that Sasha had it…it made him sick.

She looked healthy for the moment and that made him feel better at least if…if anything happened she was still the most beautiful woman in the room.

“If I catch your cold I’m going to be very pissed.” He warned her trying to make her smile before turning to the doctor. “She’ll be okay, right?” He asked.

The doctor nodded before walking over to Sasha who was leaning on her bed. Tony couldn’t hear what they were saying but it looked like they were arguing about something. Maybe the Doctor had asked her out and she turned him down?

“Sasha, tell Doctor Brad about that wet t-shirt contest you won.” He told her trying to lighten the mood.
    
“Tell Emma about the transsexual you tongued.” She retorted   

“That never happened.” He told her as Emma laughed. “That never happened. Thanks for passing along the cold, Sasha” He said to her as he coughed.

“Lay back, Tony. All right, everybody behind the shield.  Tony, I’m going to need you to take a deep breath and hold it.” Doctor Pitt told him as he continued to cough.

Tony looked at Sasha if this was his last day at least he got to spent it with her. “I’m sorry I teased you with all those movies, Sasha.” He apologised glancing back at her.

“Teased?  You’ve tortured me.  For two years all I’ve heard is John Wayne and Clint Eastwood, James Bond.” She replied grinning.
    
“James Bond… is a character… played by Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, and Pierce Brosnan.” He suddenly noticed she was wearing a surgical mask.  “Why are you wearing a mask?” He asked as he coughed again.
 
“Because I have a cold.” She explained.

“Why aren’t you sick?” He asked her weakly letting out a small sigh of relief.

“Because I’m stronger than you, Tony.” She told him.

“Are not.” He replied weakly.

“Am too.” She argued back.

He suddenly started chocking and gagging.

“Tony!  Tony!  Sit up!” She exclaimed and he could hear the panic in her voice.
   
“Sasha, you should leave. Now!” Doctor Pitt ordered her and Tony could see tears in her eyes as she left the room.

As soon as she left Gibbs stormed through the doors and straight over to Tony’s bedside.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa.  Who the hell are you?” The doctor asked him.
 
“His boss.  The bug has a suicide gene.  It’s dead.  It’s been dead for over an hour.  He’s no longer infectious.” He told the doctor before leaning over to whisper in Tony’s ear, “Tony, listen to me.  Are you listening?”  

“I’m listening.  I’m listening, Boss.” Tony replied gasping for breath.

“You will not die, you got that?  I said, you will not die.” Gibbs whispered to him. Before head slapping him when Tony didn’t answer. 
   

“Okay, I got you, Boss.” Tony whispered back.

“Good.” Gibbs whispered back as he placed a cell phone in Tony’s hand. “It’s your new cell. By the way your sister left some very angry messages saying how you’re a bastard for missing the most important day of her life.”
    
“I’m sorry Alex.” Tony whispered back.
 
* * *

Tony was partly asleep when he heard someone enter the room and nurse Emma whisper, “He’s asleep.”

But he was surprised when he heard Sasha whisper back, “Thank you.” as she knelt by his bedside and gently stroked his face.
 
“You didn’t send me the envelope did you?” He asked her.

“You think Tony?”

“The only reason I opened it was because I thought it was your way of getting me back for the flowers I sent you.”

“Oh Tony I’m so sorry.” She said as the lights flicked off and the couple was left in the dark.