- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Megan and Tony rush to visit Stark in hospital but Tony receives an urgent call from Abby telling him that Ziva has just killed a suspect who was in her custody and her tactic might be the reason why the person died. The things become much more dangerous when the suspects brother kidnaps Jenny, and demands the release of his brother in exchange for Jenny, but he has no idea that his brother is dead. Megan is the prosecutor trying to put Ziva away for killing the brother and as a result Tony realises they shouldn’t be together.
“Wait, wait, wait!” Maya interrupted, “Stark was Megan’s old boyfriend right.”

Tony nodded. “And her boss.”

“Exactly so why did he call your Megan when he was in hospital?”

“Well Stark didn’t exactly make friends easily,”

Maya gasped.

“And he had no family so when they asked him if he wanted the doctors to call anyone for him he immediately thought of Megan.” Tony explained.

“Oh great, I bet that must have been hard for you.”

“You have no idea…”


* * *

“Mr Stark had had an aortal rupture.” The doctor explained to Tony and Megan as they followed her to Stark’s room. Tony tried to listen but he was still half asleep, they had left Megan’s parents’ house yesterday and driven all night back to Washington and straight to the hospital.

Megan didn’t seem as affected by the lack of sleep as her boyfriend was. She may not have been dating Stark any more but he was still her boss and Tony knew she still cared for him. “What exactly does that mean?” She asked the doctor anxiously.

“Think of it like a tyre blowing out on the highway after going too fast for way too long." She replied as they entered a room where the only sound they heard was the sound of a heart monitor beeping. Tony then noticed the frail old man it was attracted to. Stark didn’t look at all like Tony remembered him, instead of being the strong witty drunk he was a pale sick man.

“How’s that, Mr Stark? Are you comfortable?” The doctor asked her patient as she checked his vitals.

“I make a living.” Stark replied and while he looked sick Tony could sense nothing else had changed. Stark ignored Tony and Megan’s sniggering and turned back to the doctor. “Come on, sweetheart, give me a smile. I’ve waited my whole life to do that joke.”

The doctor gave him a quick smile as she left the room and Tony suddenly felt slightly jealous as Megan rushed over to his side and gently laid her hand on his forehead. “Poor Stark.”

“Meggy you came.” He said with a grin and she smiled back. Stark then noticed Tony standing nervously by the door. “What’s he doing here?”

Tony walked over and took Megan’s hand in his. “Hello, Stark.”

“Hello.” Stark grunted.

Before Tony could say more he was interrupted by his phone ringing, he excused himself and moved outside to answer it. “Tony.”

“Tony!” Abby anxiously exclaimed. “You have to get back here now. It’s Ziva I think; well it looks like she’s killed someone this time.”


Maya suddenly sat bolt upright. “What!” She exclaimed. “Ziva killed someone! She actually killed someone! I mean it was kind of obvious she was able to but I never figured she actually would!”

“I’m with you on that one kiddo.”

“What actually happened?”

“That’s exactly what I asked your Auntie Abby…


“Well Gibbs had sent her and Timmy to collect the brother of that South African drug dealer who slipped away from her the day after you left. While Timmy took the drugs they found with him to my lab it was Ziva’s job to escort him up to Gibbs.”

Tony sighed as he watched Megan and Stark talk; they looked like nothing had happened between them. Like Stark had never let her go and Tony was just an outsider watching the happy couple. The feeling made him sick; he shook his head and tried to focus back on what Abby was trying to tell him. “So then what happened, Abs?”


“I’m standing taking photos of my first ever crime scene. Gibbs found them in the elevator, he was lying on the ground and she told him he was dead. I think you should come back now we need an extra pair of eyes and Ziva could really use a friend right now.”

He took a deep breath he didn’t really want to leave Megan alone with Stark but what choice did he have. Ziva was his partner and she needed him, she was there for him when he needed her so now it was time to repay the favour. “Okay Abs I’ll be there in fifteen minutes I’ll chat to you then.”

He placed his phone back into his pocket and knocked hesitantly on the door to Stark’s room.

“What do you want now?” Stark asked him.

He shrugged. “Umm that was work…they need me. I gotta go.”

Megan nodded. “We’ll be okay here. I’ll meet you at home later.”

He kissed her forehead and waved goodbye as he rushed out the door.

* * *

He entered the bullpen to find Ziva on the phone, looking just about ready to strangle whoever she was talking to. “I do realise it is confidential information but we are running an investigation here. No, if you put me on hold again I will have you arrest-”

He went over and casually leant on her desk. “Hey, I heard what happened. How are you holding up?”

She looked at him curiously. “I thought you weren’t due back until after New Year’s. What are you doing here?”

“I heard you killed someone sand I wanted to see if it was true.” He replied.

“Are you trying to make me feel better?” She asked him before turning back to the phone. “You put me on hold again, and I’ll jump through this phone and I will strangle you!”

Tony could tell by the look in her eye that she was deadly serious. “I know what you’re going through.”

“Really?”

Tony nodded.

“Are you making pointless phone calls and following up dead leads?”

“No as I remember it I was sitting in a jail cell waiting for my fate to be decided.” He reminded her.

“Are you trying to make me feel better?”

Tony grinned helplessly. He had never seen her like this, her hair in a mess and big black bags under her eyes. He wished there was something he could do or say to help.


“You could have kissed her.” Maya suggested.

Tony raised his eyebrows. “What would that have achieved?”

“It would have made her feel better.” Maya promised him.

“Sure and I bet your Uncle Gibbs would’ve loved that…


“DiNozzo!” Gibbs snapped at him as he entered the bullpen. “What are you doing here?”

Tony gulped. “Yeah, Boss.  I was just-”

Gibbs didn’t seem to care. “Shut up.  Get over here.  James Dempsey has taken Director Shepard hostage.  He wants his drugs and his brother back or she dies.  We have two hours.  Last contact was at the Whitmore Hotel.  Driver’s not responding.” He ordered.

Tony grabbed his spear gear he kept at his desk and headed for the elevator with Ziva right behind him.

Gibbs stopped her and both agents looked at him blankly. “Where do you think you’re going?” He asked the Israeli.

“She’s my partner, Boss.” Tony explained.

“Not today get back to that desk and ring everybody on the Director’s schedule.” Gibbs ordered.

She looked pleadingly at her partner who glanced at Gibbs and after a stern glare he turned and headed towards the elevator.


“Wow!” Maya let out a low whistle. “Just when you think it couldn’t get any worse they go and kidnap the Director. Did you find her?”

“Well I was trying to find to En's car in a garage.”

Maya looked at him anxiously. “Did you find it?”

Tony nodded. “Yup and then we opened the boot and discovered the Director’s driver dead.”

Maya gasped. “How?”

Tony wrapped his arm around her shoulder before replying. “He was taken by surprise then shot in the back of the head.  Dempsey then kidnapped the Director and demanded the return of his drugs, his brother, or the he would kill the Director.”

“But didn’t Ziva kill his brother?”

Tony nodded. “But he didn’t know that, unfortunately Megan did and she had been sent by JAG to see if Ziva really killed him and if she did she was to be sent home immediately and her liaison position with NCIS terminated.”

“In other words she found a way to get rid of Ziva permanently and she took it.”


* * *
When Tony got back from the garage he found Megan was waiting for him. She was standing over Ziva and was in a heated argument with the rest of his team.

“Look I’m sorry Agent Gibbs but I have my orders and they are to take Officer David into custody until we figure this mess out.” Megan was saying to Tony’s Boss.

Tony walked over to the group and grabbed his girlfriend’s arm. “Hey, what’s this about?”

“She may have killed someone. I’m here to figure out if she did.”

“So you can send her back to Israel?”

“No. I am just here to ask her a few questions regarding what happened.” Megan explained.

“Our Medical examiner says that there is no way to tell what happened quite yet.” Gibbs told Megan firmly.

“I still need to ask her what happened.”

Gibbs glared at her. “Fine you can use the interrogation room.” He told her and the rest of the team looked at him with wide eyes. “Tony, McGee escort Miss Ryan and Ziva there and then go and help Abby. Our Director is still missing and we need to find her.” He ordered before heading towards MTAC.

* * *

When Tony and McGee arrived in Abby’s lab after dropping Ziva and Megan in one of the interrogation rooms they found the Goth bent of her desk studying Tarot cards.

“Abs what are you doing?” Tony asked.

“I thought it was obvious.” Abby replied not bothering to look up from the cards.

“I thought you didn’t believe in voodoo.” McGee said.

“This isn’t voodoo, McGee.  It’s tarot also known as the ancient art of divination.” Abby pointed out. “Where’s Ziva?”

“She’s with Megan.” Tony told her simply.

“They get along now?” Abby asked confused.

“Not exactly, Megan is interviewing Ziva.” McGee explained.

“Oh I see.” Abby said and Tony couldn’t tell if see was talking about the cards or Ziva.

“You’re using tarot cards to find the Director?” McGee asked as glanced over the Goth’s shoulder.

She shook her head. “Of course, not.  It just helps me think.”

McGee looked at his watch nervously. “We have less than an hour, so uh… I mean, you could be working.”

“I am identifying the mystery goo from Brian Dempsey’s sneaker.  And don’t forget the old saying, “A watched G.C. mask-” She told them.

“Never boils.” Tony finished helpfully.

“Well, I was going to say never compares well to the concentration of atomic mass, but,” She shrugged, “where’s my Caff-Pow?”     

“We’re sort of in a time crunch here, Abs.” Tony reminded her. “You’re going to have to do this one caffeine free.”

She looked at him with a shocked expression as she moved over to her freezer. “Bite your tongue!  Rule number nine, always keep a spare.”

“I thought Gibbs said nine was always carry a knife?” Tony asked confused.


“Not Gibbs’ rules.  Mine.” Abby explained.

Tony nodded as he handed her what he found at the garage. “I got the physical evidence from the Director’s Car.  Cigarette butts, empty coffee cup, and a half-sucked breath mint.  Nothing that gets us any closer to James Dempsey’s location.” He sighed and looked hopefully at the cards lying on the table. “Ah!  Tarot.  The ancient art of divination.” Maybe the cards could tell him if Ziva really had done anything wrong or what Megan thought she was doing.

McGee suddenly glanced over at them he was working at Abby’s computer. “Guys, I’ve got something here.  I’ve plotted on the map the locations where Brian Dempsey made credit card purchases in the last six months.  Its gas, ATM withdrawals, motel rooms " everything.  Then I cross referenced the cell towers that his phone interfaced with.  I can literally map out his life.”

Tony sighed; Ziva and Megan could wait for now right now they had to focus on getting the Director back. He left Abby to her tarot cards and went to glance over the younger agent’s shoulder. “Strip clubs, escort services, off track betting.  The guy had so much to live for.”

McGee ignored him and highlighted an area on the screen. “According to my program, Brian Dempsey spent the majority of his time in this fifty square mile area.”

“And this helps us find the Director how?”

“It helps us narrow down the search radius.” McGee explained.

“Do you have any idea how long it takes to search fifty square miles, McGee?  Too long.” Tony replied as both agents headed back to the bullpen to report to Gibbs.


“So then what happened?” Maya asked eagerly. “Did you have to go and recue Megan because Ziva was trying to kill her?”

Tony shook his head. “When we got back up to the bullpen Ziva and Gibbs were the only ones there, I couldn’t see any trace of Megan which I hoped was a good sign. We told Gibbs what we had found and they asked where the nearest airport was because they discovered the Director was being held.”

“How’d he figure that out?”


Tony shrugged. “I dunno. But we’re sure glad he did. But there was still one small problem to deal with once we worked out where he was keeping the director.”

“Ziva killed his brother and he expected his brother to deliver the drugs to him.” Maya realised.

Tony nodded. “Yup, so we came up with a plan…


* * *

“This is the second stupidest thing I’ve ever done.  Want to know what the first was?” Tony muttered from his hiding place underneath the dead suspect’s legs where he was controlling the foot pedals and the steering wheel.

“No.  Less talking.” Gibbs replied as he readied himself to get into his hiding place in the boot of the car.

All he really wanted to do right now was ask Ziva what happened with Megan but every time he tried to talk to her something seemed to get in the way. He glanced up at her; she was wearing her best poker face and trying to concentrate on holding the dead guy’s head up. The plan was for her to be the one agent in the back of the car with the suspect, Tony had fought to swap places with her but in the end he knew with her Mossad training she was the best agent for the job.

“Are you sure this isn’t the stupidest thing you’ve ever done, Tony?” Ziva asked him as they drove towards the airport where their Director was being held.

“Well maybe not…” Tony trailed off. He still thought the stupidest thing he’d done was propose to Sasha in front of everyone and have her turn him down, not that it mattered anymore. He was with Megan now and they were happy, weren’t they?

“Are you trying to make me sick or something?” Ziva asked him as Tony pushed on the brakes instead of the accelerator and turned a little too quickly for her liking.

“You know what?  I can’t see out the wind-shield.  I’m driving with my hands.” He reminded her. “And I still think I’m driving better than you. “

“To the left!  The other left!” Ziva exclaimed as they narrowly missed hitting another car.

“It’s kind of hard to concentrate when your head is three inches from a dead guy’s-”


“Look out!” She shouted at him.


“Which way!?  Which way?!” He demanded after all she was supposed to be his eyes.

 

“You’re driving straight into an air-plane hangar.” She reminded him.


“Could you be a little more specific, please?  Which way?” He asked.

“Make a left!  Now go straight.  Tony, straight!” She directed him and to their surprise they made it safely to the airport carrier where the dead suspect’s brother was waiting with a gun to the Director’s head.

 “Just remember, Gibbs doesn’t want you taking a shot until the Director is clear.” Tony whispered to his partner as she stepped out of the car.



“Then what happened?” Maya asked and Tony could tell she was a little confused at their plan and couldn’t tell what was gonna happen next, which was good that was how he wanted it.

“Well you see another reason Ziva was the one who got to play hostage was her uncanny ability to be able to hide weapon’s anywhere on her body. So while she appeared unarmed she really wasn’t.” He explained. “But unfortunately when the suspect asked her to lie down he discovered the gun strapped to her back.”

“Oh no.”

“Yeah and then of course he noticed his brother’s hands were taped to the steering wheel and realised his baby brother was dead.”

Maya gasped.

“I know, but luckily I had popped the boot open and your sneaky Uncle Gibbs was able to shoot him before he shot the Director. Then they ruled that the suspect in Ziva’s care died of a brain aneurysm so Ziva was once again off the hook.”


“Yay so the Director was once again safe and Ziva didn’t kill anyone. Then what happened with Megan did you go and find her, then propose just to have her turn you down like Sasha did?”

“Well…



* * *

Tony returned to his apartment that night to find Megan sitting on the couch calmly reading a book. He sighed and after putting his coat away he sat down next to her, but tonight he didn’t put his arm around her, tonight he didn’t look at her like he usually did with love in his eyes, tonight he had a decision to make.

She put her book down and turned to face him. “Good your home. What a day, first Stark and then that mess with that bitch you work with.”

He took a deep breath. “What happened today with Ziva?”

“I already told you work told me to look into how that suspect died while in her care.”

“It was an accident, turns out it was bound to happen either way. What’s this really about?"

"She didn’t kill anyone today but she will and I intend to make sure she pays for it when that happens.”

“Why do you have this personal vendetta against her? She’s never done anything wrong.”

“You really don’t see it do you?”

He sighed. “Megan, listen to me. If you hold on to this vendetta, we won’t be able to survive it.”

“There will be other partners.”

“I’m talking about you and me. Whether you like it or not Ziva is my partner, I rely on her to have my back just as she relies on me. If you destroy her...”

“I’m just doing my job.”

He rolled his eyes. “C’mon we both know there is more to it than that.”

“If I don’t do it someone else will.”

“Then let them. Please, let this go.”

He looked her in the eyes and he could see by the determined look in them that as much as he wanted her to she wouldn’t, she would hold on to it. He sighed, got up and walked out the door.