- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
When a 6-year-old boy informs the NCIS team that his father was kidnapped, the team discovers that the missing father is actually a Lt. Commander working on a secret project named Honour, and that he is the only one who has the code that can open the project. While Gibbs gets closer with the boy, the rest of the team discovers that the project has been hacked in and the information inside has been deleted. Is the missing man innocent or is he actually the guilty one? Tony goes out to dinner with Ziva.
“So then what happened?” Maya asked eagerly. “Did you go out to dinner with Ziva?”

Tony nodded. “We arrived and were seated at the usual table. The one placed next to the window but in the darkest corner so we could have some privacy while we enjoyed our meal.



“Thanks for coming with me tonight I really didn't want to eat alone” Tony said to her as they picked at some garlic bread.


“It is fine.” Ziva replied. “Do you come here often?”


“Yeah my parents used to bring me and Alex here when we were kids and I brought a few girls here over the years.”


“Did you ever bring Sasha here?”


He chuckled.


“I take that as a 'yes'.”


“A few times yeah.”


“You never said why you broke up.”


“Things didn’t work out as planned.”


“Oh she did not like the ring?”


“No…it wasn’t that?”


“What was it?” she asked as their meals arrived.


He didn’t answer but starred down at his meal and played with it. He felt her eyes on him but didn’t want to look up.


She seemed to get the message and quickly changed the subject. “So what is your sister like?”


“Smart, pretty, she may look like me but she is everything I’m not.”


“Charming, sophisticated, focused?” Ziva suggested.


He laughed. “Well yeah…she was like Dad’s favourite while I was a failure in whatever I did.”


“But you’re not a failure.” Maya pointed out. “You’re an NCIS special agent. That has to be one the coolest job in the world.”


Tony laughed and kissed her head. “Thanks I certainly think it’s cool but I wouldn’t go that far.”


She shrugged. “If you say so, so then what happened? Did you go back to her place and thrust your penis into her vagina?”


“Maya! No I did not. We talked at the restaurant for ages and only left when they came and told us it was closing time. But things changed when we arrived for work the next day.


* * *


“A whole hour for a lunch run, Probie?” Tony asked when McGee finally returned from his lunch break.

“Yeah, while Ziva and I were out, she asked me to show her the best routes to work.  You know, her driving’s gotten a lot better.  Barely broke any laws this time.” McGee explained as he made his way over to his desk.

“Let me get this straight.  Ziva asked you, who can barely navigate the Navy Yard, to show her the best way to work?”

“That’s right.”

“Well, what about me?  I know every shortcut in the metro area.  I could shave ten minutes off her commute like that!” Tony exclaimed slightly hurt.

“I don’t know what to tell you.”

“It doesn’t make any sense.   Unless…maybe I intimidate her.” Tony realised.

“Yeah, I’m sure that’s it.” McGee agreed.

“I’ve seen it happen before.  It’s a chemical thing.  Hard to explain.”

“I do hope you try.” A voice behind Tony asked making him jump.

“I told you not to do that again.” Tony said when he saw it was just Ziva.

“Sorry.  I was so intimidated in your presence, I must have forgotten.  Seriously, Tony.  I do apologize for not asking your advice on my commute.” Ziva told him.
   
“Don’t worry about it.” Tony replied trying to mask the hurt in his voice.

“If I would have known you would have felt so… emasculated… is the word?” She asked McGee.
    
“Yes, it is.” McGee replied.

“Emasculated, I would have asked you first.” Ziva finished.

“It takes a little more than an exotic accent and some stealth ninja moves to emasculate me.” Tony told her.
    
“Only a little more?  How disappointing.” Ziva said as she walked over to her desk.

“Don’t take sides, Probie!” Tony warned McGee as he chuckled at the pair.

“Gear up.  We have a missing person.  Coleman Park Carousel in Arlington.” Gibbs ordered as he walked over to his desk, grabbed his gear and headed for the elevator.

Ziva was the first one to catch up to their boss. “A child?”

“Father.  Lieutenant Commander Alex Tanner.  Disappeared an hour ago.” Gibbs replied.

“Do you always respond to missing person’s cases so promptly?” Ziva asked.

“Special circumstances, Ziva.  His six year old son called NCIS.  He’s in the park, alone, waiting for us.” Gibbs answered before tossing the car keys to Tony. “DiNozzo, you drive.”

“Ooh, I think McGee wants to drive, Boss.” Tony told Gibbs sarcastically.

“Ah, you know what, Tony?  I would really rather have you drive.” McGee replied.

“Afraid you’re going to run over another fire hydrant?  Because I’m sure that wasn’t your fault.  Wait.  It was, according to the police report.” Tony taunted the younger agent.
    
Ziva reached for the keys. “I’ll drive.”

Gibbs silenced them all with a glare. “One more word, you’re all walking.”

“You got it, Boss.” Tony replied and as soon as the words left his mouth Gibbs slapped him, “I deserved that.” Tony realised as the elevator doors opened and they all stepped inside.


* * *

“Zach, hey.  I’m Special Agent DiNozzo; you can call me Tony, okay?  That’s a smart thing to do, calling NCIS.  Good boy.  All right, I know this really scary, but I want you to be brave.  Can you do that?  Okay, I want you to think back to what happened today.  Try to remember the details.  There’s no wrong answer here.” Tony said to the small boy who sat on the park bench staring at him in silence.
    
“What do we know?” Gibbs asked as he sat down on the other side of Zach.

“Nothing.   I think the kid’s in shock.” Tony replied.

“No, I’m not.  I’m waiting for Agent DiNozzo to ask me a question.” Zach told Gibbs.

“What kinds of questions was I supposed to ask?” Tony asked Zach.

“What I saw.  Why I called NCIS.” Zach replied.

“What did you see, Zach?” Gibbs asked the small boy.

“Two men were watching us.  I think they kidnapped my Dad.” Zach explained.

“Describe them.” Gibbs said.

“Dark glasses.  One had a military haircut.  One had a shaved head.” Zach described.

“How old?” Tony asked.

“About your age.  They had I-Pods, too.” Zach replied.

“It’s like a Walkman, Boss.  I-Pod.” Tony explained to Gibbs.

“They were only listening in one ear like this.” Zach continued showing them with his own IPod headphones.

“Be back in a minute, Zach.” Gibbs told him as he got up and motioned for Tony to follow him.

“Dark glasses, earwigs.” Gibbs repeated when he and Tony were out of earshot.

“Sounds like Feds.” Tony told him.

“You really think the FBI would arrest a man and leave his kid in the park, DiNozzo?” Gibbs asked.

“Maybe our Commander took a walk.” Tony suggested. “My father left me in the Maui Hilton for two days once.  He didn’t even realize I was missing until he got the room service bill.”
   
“Sad, but enlightening.” Ziva commented as she and McGee joined them.

“Boss, I just spoke with the Commander’s C.O...  He’s very concerned.  Apparently Commander Tanner was working on a highly classified D.O.D. project.” McGee reported.
    
“What project, McGee?” Gibbs asked.

“He wouldn’t say over an unsecured line.  But I’m going to find out.” McGee assured him.

Gibbs turned to Ziva. “Footage from the security cameras?”

“Park Security released them to me.” She replied.

“Okay, get ahold of Zach’s mom.  She can pick him up at NCIS.” Gibbs ordered.

“Uh… uh… boss.  Boss, um… his mother’s dead.” McGee stuttered. “Killed four years ago in a car accident.”
   
“Primary next of kin?” Gibbs asked.

“There is none.  Just Commander Tanner and his son.” McGee replied.

“Aw poor Zach.” Maya said. “At least if something ever happened to you or Mom I know Uncle Gibbs, Uncle Probie, and Auntie Abby would take care of me.”

“Yeah,” Tony agreed. “Your always have someone to take care of you.”


* * *

     
“New hires just keep getting younger, eh, Madam Director?” Tony asked the Director when he noticed she was watching Gibbs with Zach.

“Obviously you didn’t get the memo, Agent DiNozzo.” She told him not taking her eyes off Gibbs.

“What memo?” Tony asked.

“The one where it explains the next person who calls her Madam gets keel hauled, whatever that is.” Ziva explained.
    
“It’s-” Tony started but the Director stopped him.

“Unpleasant.  Tell Gibbs I want him upstairs.” She said before she walked back up to her office.

“What did the Director want?” Gibbs asked as he and Zach entered the bullpen.

“You… upstairs.” Ziva replied. “I better check on those sketches.”

“I got a BOLO out on a black Chevy Suburban, Boss.  But without plates?” Tony reported.

“DiNozzo, you will spend the next twenty four personally checking each one in Virginia, Maryland and D.C.-” Gibbs ordered him.

“That’s like an impossible” Tony started to complain but stopped when Gibbs glared at him. “I’m on that.”

“You keep an eye on him for me.  I’ll be right back.” Gibbs told Zach before he walked upstairs towards the Director’s office.

“You know, he was just kidding about keeping an eye on me.” Tony told Zach when the young boy sat down and stared at Tony.

“I couldn’t remember when Gibbs asked me, but I think I got it right.” Zach told him.

“Got what right?” Tony asked completely confused.
    
“The numbers… on the license plate.” Zach replied, “I was scared, but I remember most of the numbers.”
    
“Oh right, Zach!  My man!  Come on.  Give me five!  Come on, meet me up high!  All right.    We’ll work on that.  Good job.” Tony congratulated him.
 

* * *

“I feel like I’ve wasted your time, Agent DiNozzo.” Laura told Tony when she couldn’t identify the number plate Zach had remembered.

“Bite your tongue.  You’ve been great.” Tony told her.

“I just feel so bad for that poor little boy.” She told him.

“Well listen, if you think of anything, you give me a call day or night.  Home phone number’s on the back.” He told her as he handed her his card.

“Where’ve you been?  I could have used your help with those interviews.” He asked Ziva as she walked out of the elevator.

“Oh?  You look like you had your hands full with her.” Ziva replied looking at Laura.

“Watch your sexual innuendo around the kid.  He’s had a hard day.” Tony warned her.

“He’s taking it better than most adults.  He’s resilient.”

“Do you see the way he’s been acting around me?”

“I think it’s because he doesn’t like you, Tony.”

“Kids dig me.”

“No they don’t!”

Tony wanted to prove her wrong so he called out to Zach, “Zach.  Zacharoo, buddy!  Come on over here, man.  I was going to wait until tomorrow when everyone was here…but considering what a brave little boy you’ve been and how much you’ve helped us.  I’m going to make you an honorary NCIS Agent.” He handed him a spare NCIS badge.
    
“Thanks.  I’ve got to go to the head.” Zach said before he ran off.

Ziva laughed. “Yes, Tony.  I was mistaken.  Your way with children is only rivalled by your way with women.”

“Don’t worry Dad,” Maya reassured him. “I love you.”

“I know kiddo.” He replied as he hugged her.


“Where is Zach?” Gibbs asked as he walked into the bullpen.
    
“Potty break, Boss.” Tony replied.

“You gonna speak?” Gibbs asked Ziva.

“I got an I.D. on one of our suspects.  His name is Vincent Pazzo.  Italian born.  Freelance mercenary.  Black ops, mostly.  Some wet work.” Ziva reported.
  
“How’d you find out about that?” Tony asked.

“I sent Zach’s sketches to some people who owe me a favour.” Ziva replied.

“Well, if he’s got the Honour program and the guy who knows how to make it work, then why’d they go after the kid?” Tony wondered.
   
“To force him to cooperate.” Gibbs realised.

“Then there’s a possibility that Commander Tanner set this up to make it look like kidnapping.” Ziva said.
    
“Keep your voice down.” Gibbs warned her.

“Shh!” Tony added.

“That’s what I would do if it were my op.  The authorities are looking for a kidnapper when they should be looking for a traitor.” Ziva whispered.
    
“It doesn’t feel right, Ziva.” Gibbs told her.

“It doesn’t have to feel right to be right, Gibbs.” Ziva replied.

* * *

“Got it, Boss.  Black SUV, no rear window.  One visible suspect in the vehicle.  Should we take him now?” Tony asked Gibbs through the radio. 

“Wait.” Gibbs ordered, “I’m almost in position here.”    
     

“Copy.” Tony replied before turning to Ziva. “Are you sure you wouldn’t rather be partner with McGee?  I mean, the two of you seem to click.  And we’re about to storm this vehicle.  Who knows what’s going to go down.”

“Do not worry, Tony.  I got your back.” She replied.

Tony laughed. “Ha!  My back.  Listen, lady, if anybody is getting anybody’s back, it’s me getting yours.”

“In position, Boss.” McGee said over the radio to Gibbs.
   
“Take him down!” Gibbs ordered and they all rushed towards the SUV and opened the doors.

* * *

“Hey.” Tony greeted Ziva as he walked over to his desk.

“Gibbs got Connell talking yet?” She asked him.

“His lawyer won’t let him talk, so Gibbs is giving him the old stare.” Tony replied doing his best Gibbs stare impression.

“Gibbs does it much better.”

Tony noticed there was a juicy red apple on her desk. “Apple for the teacher?”

“It’s for McGee.  He’s been very generous with me.  Helping me adjust to this new city.” She replied.
   
“So you’re giving him an apple?”

“It’s a small gesture.”

“Well if you want to thank him, why don’t you just get him a date?” Tony asked sarcastically. “Gibbs wants to know if you’ve got anything he can use on Connell.”
    
“Frank Connell’s a deacon at his church.  Never had a moving violation, let alone a parking ticket.  And he calls his mother every Sunday.  The man is spic and spam.”
   
“The saying is spic and span.” Tony corrected. “Spam is lunch meat.”

“Oh.  What exactly is span then?”

“Span is… I’ll get back to you on that.”

“In my opinion, Frank Connell is not involved in this.”

“Oh, good.  I’ll let Gibbs know right away because he loves to hear our opinions.” Tony replied sarcastically.

“He’s distracted by his affections for Zach.”

“Gibbs doesn’t get distracted.”

“What do you call it then?”

“The Boss moves in mysterious ways.” He replied as he handed her a heavy file. “Get this to him.”
   
“Why me?”

Tony grinned and snatched the apple off her desk taking a bite out of it. “Because I’m going to go see your little buddy McGee.”
   
“Hey, put that back!” Ziva exclaimed.

“I’m just bringing it to him.”

* * *

“Progress report, McGee.” Tony asked as he walked into the lab still eating the apple.

“Ah, well I think that Frank Connell put a trace on Commander Tanner’s computer.” McGee replied.

“Think?”


“Well, I’ve got scraps of code, protocols, commands.  He might have put the trace in, collected Tanner’s passwords, stolen the software.” McGee explained.
    
“Might have and think are not going to make Gibbs happy.” Abby said as she walked over to him.

“Well, whoever wiped his files did a really good job, because there is nothing left but fragments.  Can’t Gibbs just break Connell in interrogation?” McGee asked.
   
“Not with a five hundred dollar an hour defence attorney breathing down his neck.  Puts it on you, McGee.” Tony replied.

“Well, nothing I have found contradicts any of the evidence we had against Commander Tanner.” McGee said.
    
“I’m with you, Probie.  But he’s feeling pretty strong about this one.”

“Has anyone considered the fact that Gibbs may be wrong this time?” McGee asked.
    
Abby gasped. “McGee, bite your tongue!  Gibbs knows what he’s doing.  We just have to show him love.”
  
“We show the love, Abby.  Just don’t want to let the bad guys get away while we’re doing it.” Tony said to the Goth before throwing his apple core in the bin. “Almost blocked my shot there, Chipper.  Ever play ball?” He asked Abby’s assistant.

“College.” Chip replied.

“Oh, yeah?  Me, too.” Tony replied.
   
“Tony here ran point for Ohio State.” Abby told Chip proudly.

“What conference did you play in?” Tony asked Chip.

“We didn’t exactly have a conference.” Chip admitted.

“Division?”

“Not really.  It was more of an intramural thing.” Chip told him.

“Skins and moustaches?” Tony asked.


“Chip sounds weird.” Maya told him.

“He was.” Tony agreed.

    
“Whatcha got for me?  Chip?” Abby asked her assistant.


“Fingerprint analysis results.”

“You’re free to go, Chip.” Abby told him.

“Oh, I don’t mind staying late, Ma'am.” Chip told her.

“Go home Chip, please!” Abby ordered him.

“Is that an order?” Chip asked her.

“Yes!” The Goth exclaimed. “Go!” making Chip glance around the room at Tony and McGee before walking slowly out of the lab. 
 
“I don’t know how you concentrate around that guy.” McGee said to Abby.

“I know.” The Goth agreed. “No, no, no, no, no!  No!  I’m too good at what I do.”
    
“No, you’re not.” McGee reassured her.

“I am.  And Gibbs is going to hate me for it!” She exclaimed.
    
“What happened?” McGee asked.

“Oh, it’s the following up on the murder weapon, double checking to see if there’s anything I missed.” Abby explained.
    
“Was there?” McGee asked.

“Fingerprints.” Abby replied.

“On the gun?!” McGee exclaimed.

“On the rounds in the magazine.” Abby replied.

“Well that’s great!” McGee said.

“Most people get obsessed about cleaning the grip and the trigger.  They don’t think twice about the bullets.  Now we’ve got a nice partial thumb, a forefinger, and a perfect index print.” Abby explained.
    
“Amazing.”

“Yeah, I know.” Abby agreed.

“So whose prints are they?” McGee asked.

“Commander Tanner’s.”
 

* * *

“Agent Gibbs?  What in the hell’s going on?” Commander Wilder demanded as Gibbs knocked him to the ground. They had gone to arrest Frank’s assistant Laura who led them to Wilder.

“I’m not resisting!” Commander Wilder exclaimed as Gibbs roughly put handcuffs on him.

“Too bad.” Gibbs muttered.

“I could have never hurt Zach.  It was strictly business.” Commander Wilder told them.

“We’ll be sure to let him know that.” Tony said to the commander,


“You reunited Zach with his dad though didn’t you?” Maya asked.

“Yeah, we did and everything was okay.” Tony reassured her.