- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Placed in slash for future chapters.My first story 'In Too Deep' is the first part of this series.
Author's Chapter Notes:
The after effects of the undercover assignment gone wrong lingers and Tony's kidnapper has escaped.Gibbs will go to any lengths to keep Tony safe.
Catch Me If You Can!


Disclaimer: - The guys don't belong to me although I wish that I could keep them. I'm just borrowing them for a little while to play with before I return them back where I found them.


Five Weeks Earlier


Sometimes it was just safer to stay below Gibbs' radar and today was definitely one of those days. Agent Caitlin Todd sighed as she began the search of the small six-foot by eight holding cell where only an hour before Peter Harding had managed the seemingly impossible and escaped. The vicious serial murderer and his female accomplice had killed at least eight victims before he had came to the attention of the NCIS agents a little over a week ago.


She swallowed back the hot bile that rose to the back of her throat as memories of the terrifying case slammed into her mind like a tidal wave. What had started out as kidnapping, torture and murder investigation of three marines lured away from bars ended in an undercover case almost going tragically wrong after Tony was snatched under their very noses. A sickening cat and mouse game quickly ensued with the team being teased with photos, phone calls and videos of Tony being tortured and drugged by the couple. The game had finally been bought to an end after Tony managed to escape


"Todd, what the hell are you doing? Those damn photos aren't going to take themselves!"


The sound of Gibbs' irritated shout startled Cait out of the disturbing memories and she quickly uttered an "On it, Gibbs!" as she hastily pulled the camera up to her eye and began to photograph the cell from every angle. Yep, today was definitely the day to stay under Gibbs' radar. With the possibility of Tony in danger from this madman and Gibbs' guilt over the undercover operation Cait knew that working as an agent in the top team of NCIS was not going to be a fun position until Harding was caught!


NCISNCISNCIS


Present Day


"Good morning Cait, Probie!" The cheerful voice of Tony DiNozzo echoed through the bullpen DiNozzo strutted happily across to his own desk, rotating his now newly healed arm around as he grinned happily. "Ducky just removed the cast and cleared me for active field duties!"


Entering the bullpen, Gibbs hesitated unnoticed behind the partition as he heard the younger agent's excited announcements. The silver haired lead agent felt his blood chill with a sickening fear as his thoughts returned to the undercover case that had led to DiNozzo being kidnapped, drugged and tortured, his broken arm only one of injuries that he had suffered at the hands of Harding and his girlfriend Kiki. Clenching his fists, Gibbs remembered Tony's dramatic drugged escape and the desperate minutes on the roof of the building when Gibbs had feared that Tony would try and jump believing in his drugged state that he could fly. Haunting memories of Tony's cardiac arrest and sitting, trying to reassure Tony that he was safe as the terrifying hallucinations plagued the young man in the hospital rushed to the forefront of his mind.


The man behind the horror, Peter Harding, had killed his own accomplice and tried to take him hostage after Tony's rescue. He had managed to turn the tables and subdue the power-hungry drug addict.


The investigation showed that the couple was serial killers who had roamed the country for at least two years kidnapping torturing and killing their victims. The count was up to nineteen victims so far but more victims were still unaccounted for, their bodies yet undiscovered.


The assisted escape of Harding five weeks earlier from the holding cell had scared Gibbs more than he would ever admit. The fear that the man would return wanting to finish what he started with trying to break and then kill DiNozzo was a constant fear that Gibbs now harbored. He knew the fear would not subside until Harding was back under lock and key.


Gibbs' stared at Tony, it had been easy to protect the agent when he was recovering from his injuries but it would be so much harder to protect him out in the open. ‘No!' He decided, ‘Field work for Dinozzo was definitely out of the question!'


"I can't wait to get back outside! Into the fresh air, the sunshine, the birds …" Tony's excited voice drew him back to the conversation.


"Photographing the crime scenes in a muddy field, sketching in the cold winter rain." Cait added with a grin. "Any girls watching wrapped up in thick coats and sweaters!"


McGee snickered from behind his computer screen as Tony threw Cait a disgusted look and opened his mouth to respond. Before he managed to utter his comeback, Gibbs' angry edict cut him off. "DiNozzo, You're not back on field duty until I say you are and I haven't said you are! Is that clear?"


Tony turned stunned at the heat in Gibbs' order as the lead agent stepped from behind the partition and moved towards his desk, coffee cup in hand. He shot a quick glance in McGee and Cait's direction, confirming that the two of them were as stunned at the edict as he was.


Slowly Tony moved towards Gibbs' desk waiting till the lead agent had settled in the seat before he quietly said, "Boss, Ducky says I'm fit for full duties and that includes field work. I don't understand…"


He gave a small involuntary step backwards as Gibbs' snapped his head up, his eyes blazing with anger and another emotion…fear?


"What don't you understand Tony?" Gibbs growled in annoyance. " Don't you understand that you are still under protection until we catch Harding? Or the fact that if you are out in the open on field duties it makes that protection much more harder to provide?"


Tony swallowed as he tried hard to place into words that he no longer believed that Harding was a threat to him. "Boss, " He began hesitantly before deciding to rush in, "Boss, it's been over five weeks since Harding escaped and he hasn't made a move against me. I don't think that he is crazy enough to stick around here just to finish me off. I think he has long gone, probably to another state, maybe even to Mexico or Canada. I can't hide forever on the assumption that he is still after me. Please, let me back on full duties. I know you will have my six!" He pleaded.


Cait and McGee exchanged glances. Both knew how much the undercover operation and Tony's recovery had affected Gibbs but both were aware of how much Tony needed to be back on the team in his complete role of NCIS agent and that definitely included field work. They watched as the battle of wills was silently carried out between the two men's eyes before Gibbs sighed loudly. "You can do field work provided that one of us are with you at all times out in the field. That means no wandering off out of our line of sight for any reason!" he ordered.


"YES!" Tony jumped and punched the air in excitement at Gibbs' tentative agreement to let him back to full duties. "I promise Boss, no wondering off when we are out on the field! I'll stick to you, McGee, Cait or Ducky like glue!" He promised animatedly as he continued to dance from foot to foot.


"You better, DiNozzo, "Gibbs growled in warning, Because the first time you don't I WILL suspend you so fast it will make your head spin! Understood?"


"Got it Boss!"


"Now get those damn reports that you were suppose to have on my desk yesterday finished!"


"On it, Boss!" Tony grinned as he turned and hurried back to his own desk.


Picking up the cup of coffee, Jethro Gibbs tried to hide a small grin behind the cup as he lifted it to his lips. A small quiet voice tugged at his mind asking him if he had just made the biggest mistake of his life. The grin faded as he felt the knot of fear settle again like a rock in the pit of his stomach. He glanced across at Tony, who had his head bent down towards the keypad as he typed furiously on the report. ‘God I hope not!' Gibbs thought before he turned and began to study the latest negative reports on the search for Harding.





.
Chapter End Notes:
Placed in slash for future chapters.My first story 'In Too Deep' is the first part of this series.