- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The after effects of an undercover operation gone wrong lingers. Tony's kidnapper has escaped and Gibbs will do anything to keep Tony safe.
Catch Me if You Can! Ch 2


Stepping across the small stream, Tony quickly opened his pad and began to sketch. He moved a little closer as he swiftly drew the position of the marine's body located half in and half out of the water. The dark bruises marring the bare back and legs spoke of the violence the young man had endured before his death. Concentrating on his work, Tony was only vaguely aware as Gibbs moved around him instructing Cait and McGee to start a perimeter search and to photograph the scene.


Finishing the drawing, he stepped back as Ducky and Gerald arrived. He lingered a moment watching as Ducky knelt down. to examine the corpse, talking softly to the dead man reassuring him that he would take care of his mortal remains. Stepping away, he moved to the edge of the forest and turned the page of his sketchbook over as he prepared to sketch the full crime scene and add in his measurements of the scene.


"DiNozzo!"


Gibbs' unexpected irritated shout startled him and he snapped his head up as he instinctively answered, "Yes Boss?"


"What the Hell do you think you are doing?" Gibbs yelled as he stalked over to his younger agent.


Tony stared at him in surprise and bewilderment at the strange question. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed that Cait, McGee, Ducky and Gerald were all watching the exchange between the two of them with the same confusion that he now felt. He swallowed before answering. "Umm, just doing the crime scene sketch, Boss."


"Didn't I warn you when I told you could join us back on active duty that you were to stay in our line of sight at all times in the field?" Gibbs growled as he stepped into Tony's personal space, glaring at the younger man.


Tony blinked before he glanced around, realizing that he had stepped back into the wooded area where he could not be seen by the team. "Ummm, sorry Boss! I guess I wasn't paying attention to where I was." He murmured, growing acutely uncomfortable under the older man's furious stare.



"Well start paying attention DiNozzo!" Gibbs warned in a deadly tone, "In case you have forgotten you are still under protective custody and if I can't trust you to obey orders and remain with in sight in the field, I'll have you sitting at a desk doing reports for the rest of your life! Got it?"


"Got it Boss." Tony answered, stepping back into the clearing. He released the breath that he was holding as Gibbs spun and stormed away. It had been over a week since he had been cleared by Ducky to return to full duties. Gibbs had been resistant initially, tending to delegate him with the safest jobs when they were out in the field, ensuring that he was in sight of at least one of them at all times.


Tony sighed silently as he began to sketch the scene from his new location, aware of both Cait and McGee watching him with sympathy in their eyes. His mind wandered back to his kidnapping and escape. He remembered very little of what happened and would never admit to anyone that when he had been told of his kidnapper's escape he had even been scared about Harding coming after him.


Gibbs had seemed to launch into a protective mode that Tony had never seen in the man before. At first insisting that Tony stay with him at his house under twenty-four hour guard, Tony had finally been able to convince Gibbs that he no longer required the costly protection, that after four weeks of freedom, he doubted that Harding was still around the area and a danger to him any longer. Gibbs had reluctantly withdrew the guard and allowed Tony to return to his own apartment and back to office duties.


He had the sensation that Gibbs was unofficially covering his six during the night. He suspected that the lead agent was spending half the night in his car, carrying out his own form of protective custody. While Gibbs actions were comforting to the younger agent, Tony also found them a little smothering. The protective streak had really become evident to everyone on the team when Tony had asked to return to active duties.


"Dinozzo, are you going to stand there daydreaming or working?" Gibbs' impatient shout yanked Tony from his thoughts and he quickly refocused on his job and began to draw.


NCISNCISNCIS


Standing in the shadows, a figure raised his camera and clicked the shutter several times. He smiled to himself as he watched the team for several more minutes before he turned and silently walked away.


NCISNCISNCIS


The bullpen was silent as Gibbs sat in the dim light of his computer screen, sipping scalding coffee and staring at the negative reports on Harding as they flickered across his screen. He glanced down at his watch and sighed. He would give DiNozzo at least another hour to fall asleep before he headed over to the young man's apartment to carry out the clandestine surveillance in his car.


"You know, Jethro, that you are smothering young Anthony with the way you are treating him at the moment!" Ducky's soft cultured voice caused Gibbs to jump a little, splashing coffee onto his hand.


Quickly grabbing his handkerchief to wipe the hot liquid from his hand, Gibbs looked up into Ducky's worried face. "That madman is still out there, Ducky, and as long as he is a threat to any member of my team I will do my utmost to protect them!" Hr growled in defense, surprised that Ducky seemed fully aware of what he was doing.


The Medical Examiner sighed as he sat down on the desk edge and slowly removed his glasses, taking a moment to rub his eyes tiredly before replacing them and speaking. "I was worried about what after effects the whole undercover operation might leave with young Tony but I can see that the effects are more severe for you, Jethro. I know you feel responsible for what happened but it wasn't your fault. You did your best and Tony knew the risks when he went undercover! I think you need to talk about what you are feeling." Ducky ignored Gibbs' heated look and the deep-throated growl at the suggestion as he continued... "You have become obsessed with Anthony's safety, even to the point that it is starting to interfere with the work of this team! You know you can't guard Anthony for the rest of your life. Go home tonight, Jethro, work on your boat or get some sleep. Anthony will be safe, I promise."


"Ducky…"


Gibbs objection was cut off abruptly as Ducky rose to his feet. "I mean it, Jethro! Go home!" Ducky ordered firmly, his hands on his hips as he stared at the younger agent over the rim of his glasses giving no opening for disobedience of his order.


Gibbs sighed as he tiredly stood up. "Okay, Ducky, you win. I'll go home!" He muttered in defeat.


NCISNCISNCIS


Moving stealthily through the dimly lit apartment, the dark figure silently entered the bedroom and stood next to the side of the bed watching the young man sleep. He remained motionless for several minutes enjoying the sight in front of him, watching as the sleeping man's chest rose and fell evenly, undisturbed by his presence.


Grinning, he carefully reached for the small cell phone discarded on the small bedside table. He picked it up and quietly left the room, stepping into the small living room before he flipped it open and quickly checked the numbers in the digital phonebook. He smiled as he found the number he was seeking and pushed the speed dial, only hearing the phone at the other end of the call ring twice before being answered.


NCISNCISNCIS


Snatching up his cell phone after the second ring, Gibbs flipped it open, immediately identifying the caller as DiNozzo from the caller I.D. "This better be good DiNozzo, it's two in the morning!" He growled into the phone, not wanting Tony to know that he was still awake worrying about his safety.


"Ahh, Agent Gibbs. So nice to hear your voice again." The soft voice sent chills through Gibbs' body as he immediately identified the voice as not DiNozzo's but the man who had caused Tony so much pain and suffering only weeks before.


"Harding!" The name was spat out of Gibbs mouth like a curse. He felt the fear rise to anger, "What are you doing with this phone? Where is…?"


The soft laughter of the drug-addicted murderer reverberated into his ear. "Why Gibbs, he is here with me sleeping peacefully in his bed. I must admit though, he does look so much younger when he is asleep. Don't you agree?"


"If you hurt him in any way…" Gibbs warned but was cut off abruptly by another evil laugh.


"Why Agent Gibbs, Agent DiNozzo is perfectly healthy. Why would I want to hurt my play toy! If you don't believe me, you are most welcome to come and check on his welfare!" A soft chuckle echoed through the phone before the loud click disconnected Gibbs from Harding.


NCISNCISNCIS
Chapter End Notes:
Placed in slash for future chapters.My first story 'In Too Deep' is the first part of this series.