- Text Size +
Chapter Four: Armor of Halo

Sara Sidle walked down the strip, noticing that there was no one else around. Nick, Warrick, and Gil were at the lab, along with a skeleton staff. They were the ones that were holding out. Greg Sanders was the only lab tech and so he hung around if for anything else to stick to his friends, and of corse was doing his part. They were going over old cases, since the new ones were like ghosts, or worse they knew, but had no way of getting them back. The city officials had left long ago, and the population had disappeared fast after the dark clouds had collected over the state of Nevada. It seemed the world was covered but the spirit of the United States was stronger, slowly the progress down of the darkness that called to it.

She had gone out to look for a grocery store that was open, hoping that she would at lest find something, everyone was bunking at the lab to keep there numbers together. Greg the CSI/lab rat, had ran out of coffee and bottled water as well. The city had become empty after a few harvests, but local law enforcement could do nothing, and ironically anyone in the uniform was left alone. CSI’s were not included in that endeavor, which made Sara wonder why. So they to were made to wear the uniform for their safety. They knew all to well the cloud would bring the soldiers, but running only made them bite at the heals of there running flights. Cars stopped working and most of the cases they went over were solved with data print outs of finger prints and county death certificates.

ON the up side if they ever found everyone again they could solve over sixty eight different cold cases now that there was nothing distracting them, which was over eight percent of the cold case files.

Sara had noticed strange things happening all over on the news, when it could be on. She also saw it was happening all over the world, not just in the United States, Britain and Canada had succumbed and there was no communication from them, China, Asia and most of Europe as well, there was next to nothing that came from Iraq and India as is but now it was like the United States was the last stop on the enemies list, only the cost line was suffering until two days ago, Nevada was hit and people left for the more central part of the united states. That was if they were not harvested.

It burnt Sara up that them was noting they could do to help. Officers who tried helping were often hurt in the process of being removed from the situation. For some reason they were left alone. She looked back down at her shinny badge on her chest, she felt it did not belong there. She had gone several days with restless sleep. She kept dreaming about a green mist and a bangle’ed white tiger. A tiger that could talk to her in her mind none the less.

She managed to find what she was looking for and left appropriate money with the cashier. Gathering the bags she walked back toe th lab, were she was welcomed, Greg was happy that they had bottled water. Nick and Warrick managed to rig a car battery to a extension cord outlet, so many of there machine were still running, including the coffee maker.

However, since Animal control had no officers, and the keepers at the Zoo were all harvested. the animals at the zoo were being taken care of by off duty officers. The logic was better to feed them then to have them coming for us. But the strange thing was that, the animals in the zoo were almost tranquil. Even the predators. The lions and large cats all sat at the opposite end of the cages and waited as the meal was dropped off. The only problem was one White Tiger did not seem well.

No one left behind knew a thing about Zoology, so they just upped the fiber in his diet and kept a watch on him. They had looked into the history of the tiger, he was born in captivity in Japan. But his family history was shaky, apparently the mother tiger had escaped and when they found her again she was pregnant with him and his litter mates. But he was the oldest, since the others died over five years ago. He was the oldest living tiger, but never seemed to be old.

Sara was on her fourth cup and finishing another case when a loud crash came from the reception area. Screams were heard as well as a loud roar of what could be a large cat. Getting up she moved to find out what it was. By the time she got there she saw Greg Sanders on the floor behind the sick bungled white tiger, the armored enemy in front of it.

Gil, Warrick, and Nick were frozen unsure what to do as the law enforcement officers opened fire on the incoming enemy, which seemed to do little. That was until Sara felt her anger climb to new heights, this was insanity not a well though corse of action. The soldiers took away the population before the law enforcement for no reason!

In her anger she felt like she was becoming someone else, but wrestled within herself, unseeing of how her body was glowing bright green or that Greg’s was pulsing burn red color, that was until the tiger roared again and the glow became mist on the two and then solid armor on their bodies. But Greg and Sara knew it was sub armor, they had a feeling it was more.

Sara was on auto pilot and could only watch as her body moved, holding up her hands she whispered, “White Lightning wave!”

Her body shot out white light that seemed to turn into the shape of a dragon, roaring to life and attacking the enemy it whipped them out. But moments later more came in. Apparently the use of her powers signaled an all you can eat buffet. Sara and Greg themselves, did not know what was going on, but knew that the longer they though about fighting back, the more the auto pilot kicked him. But they also knew that floods of memories were coming to them, who’s they were they did not know. But they knew that Greg’s body got up and rushed to Sara’s side, Greg’s presence was almost care free, but Sara found her mind focused on the battle, her whole being was telling her to protect Greg, but the reason why was not forth comming. What was the deal? Why did Greg need protecting, he had armor to like she did, didn’t he?

Her answer came when the others opened fire on the charging enemy, even though it was pointless. Sara understood it as a purely human condition fight or flight, since flight was removed they did what felt like it would help them. Greg grasped her hand and whispered,

“Do it again Halo, try using my energy to.” As the enemy came in with higher numbers, Sara grip on Greg’s hand tightened. She was high off feeling the power just holding his hand made. She noted that Greg’s body was glowing like hers, his voice she knew was going to join hers,

“Grey Thunder!” They whispered together and this time, the light filled the room shooting out of every window and door. The normal people around them felt as if they were filled with peace and an emotion none could described. Greg and Sara however, felt at peace, and as if a small bond was forget between them.

Sara saw that her feelings for Grissim were pointless, and that the bond she shared with Greg was one of acceptance and caring, it was the start of a friendship. A bond worthy of growing, she also saw that their lives had crossed many times before and after the battles with Talpa.

Though their lives together were often brother and sister or best friends, Sara understood that the love she was looking for, would not be found with Greg. But the strength to grow and mature within herself was there. Together they held a power source that came from friendship. Memories of thee different powers were shown, they were vital to the higher power they would need in order to defeat their enemy.

Greg on the other hand felt the bond as well, he saw his memories with Sara and her heart as well, he saw the feelings that had resided there for Grissim, but he also saw them within a moment die. His gut told him thing would be heard for a while but they would progress into what they used to be. They were not soul mates, but spirits who often in life befriended one another and helped each other along the progression. He would have the sure kill attacks, while Sara was the one who could weald the magic, it was when they joined hands in friendship that the power came to both of them. But knowing there was a barrier between them made Greg worry about what would happen if the barrier was to brake.

The enemy decimated the two relaxed. The control of there bodies came back to them and they realized just what it was that had just happened.

“Sara how did you . . . ?” Gil asked, but Greg’s eyes caught Sara’s attention. What she saw in them stopped her from fallowing Grissim’s inquiry,

“Greg when did you learn to do that?” The sea of questions started, and Greg and Sara were nearly overwhelmed as it snapped them back to realty. That was until everyone remembered there was a bungled white tiger in the building, their reminder was a roar and then Greg baby talking it,

“You’re my best furry friend in the whole world, yes you are. You’re so good to, your fur so soft, your staying with me tonight big guy!” Greg stated, as he petted the head of the massive cat. But that was before the cat turned to Sara and did something that no one ever thought a cat should do, it talked. Which was not normal for realty, well that was unless they were on Sailor Moon, a show Nick knew so well due to the face that his sister’s kids loved it.

“Halo, you should stay with Corruption. Together you will be a stronger force against the enemy. The others will come looking for you soon, now that your armor is awakened. But I promise you that while we wait the Dynasty will not.”

Sara then jumped back, “TALKING CAT!” The memories were not showing a talking cat, so her shock was pure and genuine. Greg laughed and moved the tigers head to face him, petting its head, the tiger nuzzled Greg’s chest and soundable sniffed him. Greg then started to go on talking to the tiger,

“You just keep getting better and better. But enquiring minds want to know, how can you talk let alone understand English? I mean we have our own Garfield for crying out loud!” The tiger swatted at Greg’s rear-end, as if punishing a petulant child. Only it was a tiger not a human parent,

“My first concern would be to relocate the occupants of this facility Corruption! For the record as well I have no name. You and Halo can’t hold them off long on your own, we need to meet up with the other four before you care captured, finishing the enemies Warlord collection. They already have Venom, Cruelty, and Illusion, you will make it set, and possibly set in their favor! The enemy needs no assistance as is.

Those were just the made soldiers, the cannon fonder of the Dynasty. Now that they’re have been two sections of them destroyed they will come and investigate. So I suggest clearing the area so there is nothing for them to find. The Servants will be along soon and they are not so easly defeated Corruption.”

Gil and the others watched as the tiger tried to usher them out, but Sara put her foot down and rather hard,

“You think I am going to just leave my team?” it was seconded by Greg who piped in, with his two cents, which made more of a compelling argument in the case the tiger was trying not to think about.

“Yes I think it rather ironic that were to defend humanity yet your trying to keep us away from it!”

The tiger huffed and then hastily explained, “Strategy 101 for you two. If your enemy knows where you are, then don’t be there. Your friends can come along, The soldiers will be after you and them anyways. You will not be able to solve the cases until the power gets back on and your equipment works. I doubt the batteries will last another hour. But if you must have them near we need to be on the move. My eyes have shown me too much to let you stay here.”

There were only nine people total, Eclie had left with the first wave, he was into politics not fighting. Grissim stayed only because he saw it was feudal to run, if he ran sooner or later the running would run him and anyone who fallowed that way of thinking into a dead end. So they closed up shop and began walking. The tiger stayed at the front and seemed to sniff around a lot.

“Who is going to take care of the Zoo?” Nick asked, but the tiger only huffed,

“You humans think we need care takers. Well here is an idea, I set them free and showed them how to get into the food supply, showed them how to ration. Those are lessons they will not soon forget. Besides if they brake into any of the markets, you can’t charge animals with braking and entering, it’s in our nature to do what it takes to survive.”

Nick and Warrick looked amused as the tiger moved closer to Gil, who actually was taking a talking the idea of ani animal talking to him much more easy then they were. He even came up with a questions of his own,

“So how is it you can talk and why are you doing this thing? Why don’t you call Sara and Greg by their names?” The tiger looked from Sara to Greg and then to the ground before he answered,

“I can’t get too familiar with them. I am a guardian over the armors, its in my blood Mr Grissim. It is well within the real of possibility that I will die before this mission is over. It is my job to pass along all my knowledge to them, it might not be much mind you. I can see what they are to do, but much is for them to find out. I don’t get to familiar with them so when I am destroyed in battle as my fate might be, they will not need to morn me as much as my for Sire White Blaze was when he finally died of very old age.”

Grissim too this information it account and smiled down at the tiger,

“Is there any particular name you like? I can’t very well see us referring to you as tiger, its kind of general and you’re for father had a name why not you.”

The tiger was about to answer when it growled and moved ahead of Greg. Several figured dressed in billowing white robs appeared out of no where. Gill and the others moved out of sight, but Sara and Greg stayed where they were.

“We are here for the boy. Our master has asked for him in his court.” The tiger growled out, something that the others could not understand, that was until his body shined and strange armor formed on his blackening fur. The white robbed figured tried to get close but the Tiger launched its attack with a energy ball from its mouth no less, which decimated there numbers. That was nothing but it helped spur Greg and Sara into action. Sara send out two of her ‘White lighting waves’ which rendered many of the enemy into dust. But what was impressive was when Greg gained an armor of his own, more then his sub armor as he said

“Armor of Corruption, Armor up!”

In a flash of lights he went from sub armored Greg to demonic armored up warlord. That seemed to frighten the servants, but he did not use any spacial attack only charged in and started to slash and slice them up, with near medical persian.

Several of them started to circle the armored up Greg as they did their best to keep both the tiger and Sara buzzy. They made no advance but started groaning and chanting, until a circle of black tar shot up from the ground and attacked Greg, even armed up it gave little protection as he was not fully aware of what to do. The jell climbed his armor and despite getting frozen into layers it went into his helmet.

With a cry of pain the armor fell away showing Greg covered in it and it was going into his eyes. Greg was gagging on it as it forced its way into his mouth. That was then a bolt of straggle enough pink lighting came and landed in front of Greg. The creature was covered in fabric, but they could see the serpent like tail as it picked up and limp Greg,

:Don’t you see pathetic Ronin . .I always get what I want.” The enemy stated then was under fire as the others emptied there clips into him. Bullets did little but they did something. Sara was afraid fo hurting Greg so she hung back. The Tiger however knew better then to get in front of a barrage of gun fire.

However, there efforts were feudal as the lighting came and a door way appeared, the serpent enemy slithered quickly into it and then it vanished. Sara was shocked, the tiger was trying to comfort her, promising her he would help get Greg and the others back. But it was too much for her, she felt as if her world was put into a fog.

Stay tuned for the next instalment of Call to Arms
To arms, the Ronin warrior sisterhood